Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1
phil1031
macrumors newbie

Otterbox Defender + extra screen protector?

I ordered my iphone 4 yesterday and am going to get the otterbox defender case. I have seen that some people have an extra screen protector under the one that comes with the otterbox and I was wondering how necessary that is. Also, does the iphone 4 come with a sheet of plastic over the screen like the 2G model did? And if so can that be used as the extra screen protector?

Thanks,

Phil
phil1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2
cambookpro
macrumors 601

The iP4 does come with one sheet of plastic over it, but it's ugly. TBH, you don't need anything else with an otterbox.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

I'm one of the weirdoes who has a clear SGP Oleophobic under the OB screen.

The reason is simple. I alternate between the OB and an incase slider, and don't want to have to reinstall a new protector each time I use the incase.

I doubt the protective film that comes on the phone would work well in the longrun.

Also, seems like 2 protectors would offer a little extra protection anyway.
Megalobyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Edking4
macrumors member

Yea the one that comes with the phone does not have a cutout for the home button or the speaker.
Edking4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Rainlyn
macrumors newbie

Extra screen protector

The reason that people use an extra screen protector (matte/antiglare) with the otterbox defender is that adding antiglare protector underneath the default one eliminates the banding/watermaking effect. Without an extra screen protector, you'd see a watermarking/rainbow banding/oily effect while your phone was in the otterbox. You can also use baby powder to get rid of this effect, instead of using a screen protector.
Rainlyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:34 PM   #6
HighLife420
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainlyn View Post
The reason that people use an extra screen protector (matte/antiglare) with the otterbox defender is that adding antiglare protector underneath the default one eliminates the banding/watermaking effect. Without an extra screen protector, you'd see a watermarking/rainbow banding/oily effect while your phone was in the otterbox. You can also use baby powder to get rid of this effect, instead of using a screen protector.
exactly....you will really not need the one underneath the case. I was watching a video about the new iphone 4 otterbox and he talked alittle about having a shield on the phone already. He said it hindered the touch screen's performance by a bit, would have to push very hard on the screen to get his movements to register.

I say just use the otterbox shield and forget anything on the phone itself.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:55 PM   #7
phil1031
macrumors newbie

sounds good, thanks for the replies!
phil1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories