Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:02 AM   #1
scarfizzle
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
iphone 4 video rotation

i need to rotate a hd video that i shot on my iphone 4. it plays in portrait mode an i need it in landscape to up load it to youtube but i do not want to lose any video quality in rotating it. i have Sony Vegas 9 so please some one help me an im on a pc

Last edited by scarfizzle; Aug 16, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
scarfizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:16 AM   #2
spice weasel
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
If you shot it in portrait then you're out of luck. You can either rotate it 90 degrees and watch it sideways, or you can crop it so that you fill a landscape frame with a selected portion of the portrait frame you shot. But this is going to reduce picture quality because you are effectively digitally zooming. I don't know how to do this with Vegas.
spice weasel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
mBox
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice weasel View Post
If you shot it in portrait then you're out of luck. You can either rotate it 90 degrees and watch it sideways, or you can crop it so that you fill a landscape frame with a selected portion of the portrait frame you shot. But this is going to reduce picture quality because you are effectively digitally zooming. I don't know how to do this with Vegas.
cant you just scale it up in Vegas? Also fine if your shooting for DVD format. The original iPhone 4 clip is technically 1280x720 in landscape (so reverse that for potrait).
Take that into account that DVD is 720x480 Non-Square Pixels then you shouldnt lose too much.
Well its going to DVD, you lose no matter what :P
LOL!
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
jwheeler
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
maybe he means he started the the video before the iphone registered the rotation to landscape. I have a few videos on my iphone that play sideways for this reason.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM, 15" HR Glossy
Canon 60D, 18-55mm, 50mm f1.8, 29mm f2.8, 200mm f4, Rode VideoMic, & Hoodeye LCD VF
jwheeler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
mBox
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post
maybe he means he started the the video before the iphone registered the rotation to landscape. I have a few videos on my iphone that play sideways for this reason.
yes that maybe but can still be edited using any decent video editor.
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:12 PM   #6
scarfizzle
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post
maybe he means he started the the video before the iphone registered the rotation to landscape. I have a few videos on my iphone that play sideways for this reason.
yea this is what happened. if i hold it up right it plays in landscape mode but if i hold it side ways it plays in portrait
scarfizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:36 PM   #7
mBox
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfizzle View Post
yea this is what happened. if i hold it up right it plays in landscape mode but if i hold it side ways it plays in portrait
well that I cant comment but again if your talking Vegas or any NLE for that matter, then just follow the steps above
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:00 PM   #8
scarfizzle
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBox View Post
well that I cant comment but again if your talking Vegas or any NLE for that matter, then just follow the steps above
yeah i was able to fix it thanks for the help =]
scarfizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:43 PM   #9
esadb
macrumors 65816
 
esadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Mind sharing how you fixed this?

I recorded my buddy and his wife dancing.. And i was stupid and rotated the video thinking it will be fine on the computer.

Well turns out the first minute is portrait mode, but then i flipped it landscape.. OR vice versa i dont even know anymore.

Im opened the video in iMovie but now the aspect ratio is all screwed up. I did manage to rotate the video its the right orientation just the aspects are screwed...

Anything i can do?
esadb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:03 PM   #10
mBox
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by esadb View Post
Mind sharing how you fixed this?

I recorded my buddy and his wife dancing.. And i was stupid and rotated the video thinking it will be fine on the computer.

Well turns out the first minute is portrait mode, but then i flipped it landscape.. OR vice versa i dont even know anymore.

Im opened the video in iMovie but now the aspect ratio is all screwed up. I did manage to rotate the video its the right orientation just the aspects are screwed...

Anything i can do?
Id have fun with that in After Effects but can also be done in Final Cut. Id create a white border a la polaroid then rotate the video using 3D camera or just scaling/rotate/position so it accomodates the video aspect change.
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:28 AM   #11
esadb
macrumors 65816
 
esadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBox View Post
Id have fun with that in After Effects but can also be done in Final Cut. Id create a white border a la polaroid then rotate the video using 3D camera or just scaling/rotate/position so it accomodates the video aspect change.
Think you can elaborate a bit more on that? So iMovie cant do anything?
esadb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:59 AM   #12
mBox
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by esadb View Post
Think you can elaborate a bit more on that? So iMovie cant do anything?
Not sure about iMovie, I guess I can fire it up and test but im reffering to the fact that your video changes in aspect due to camera roll. We sometimes get video like this (Im a Motion Designer/3D Artist) and would have to cheat the screen size so that you cant see it getting cut off.
You then have to play with it in software to get it to look decent.
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:07 AM   #13
esadb
macrumors 65816
 
esadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBox View Post
Not sure about iMovie, I guess I can fire it up and test but im reffering to the fact that your video changes in aspect due to camera roll. We sometimes get video like this (Im a Motion Designer/3D Artist) and would have to cheat the screen size so that you cant see it getting cut off.
You then have to play with it in software to get it to look decent.
Ah i see, so saying i should get Final Cut. I just dont want to get over my head with this haha

I just wanted to make it look presentable and at least in the right orientation lol
esadb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:14 AM   #14
MacinTek
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
iMovie can rotate video

You can rotate the video using iMovie. You have activate the crop mode and in the preview pane, click on one of the rotate indicators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 11.10.47 PM.png
Views:	804
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	254818  
MacinTek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Flason
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Simple: Use the free Handbrake application

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Once you move the movie from your iPhone to your computer, find the file. Launch Handbrake then open the file with Handbrake (you need to navigate to the file within the Handbrake > open file dialogue.

If you are good, Handbrake will open the file IN LANDSCAPE mode

Now, choose the Output settings (MP4 file works great) and hit the START icon. The corrected, landscape oriented, movie will appear on your desktop. Open with QuickTime to confirm (or QuickView) then delete the old file.

You can now sync the corrected video back to iPhone with iPhoto.
Flason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:11 PM   #16
munkees
macrumors 65816
 
munkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
I used iMovies Crop and rotation on my videos, I end up shooting a lot of movies upside down on my goPro (it has a setting to switch it, I just do it in iMovie).
__________________
iMacs, MBA and iPhone.
munkees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:25 AM   #17
waysyinaction
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Try double tapping the home button and slide the dock to the right and select the lock orientation button. This will make the video play in the correct orientation. I'd have have to say something isn't right with this. Try this and its going to work perfectly......
waysyinaction is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rotation on iPhone 3GS malfunctioning sultanoflondon iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Dec 29, 2013 05:00 AM
iPad: Rotation issues Ipadlover29 iPad 1 Dec 2, 2013 05:35 AM
6.1.3 update brakes video rotation tevion5 iOS 6 6 Mar 25, 2013 07:13 AM
iPhone: Video camera rotation notification jjk454ss Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Feb 24, 2013 07:06 PM
rotation problem LARRYSE iPhone/iPad Programming 1 Jan 30, 2013 11:59 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC