iPad needs no accessories, not even a case! - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1
iPaddentist
macrumors newbie

iPad needs no accessories, not even a case!

So like most of you I have been diligently using my iPad for a few months. Since that time I have gone through and returned 3 cases that were bulky, ugly, or just crappy in quality. I also never took the plunge to buy a keyboard despite a few typos here and there.

My conclusion is that the iPad really doesn't need any accessories at all. Its really quite durable despite not having a case for a month now, and besides we all know as soon as the new one comes out well dump this guy and get that anyway. No point in wrapping this thing in bubble wrap and putting it in a safe, just use it and enjoy it.
iPaddentist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaddentist View Post
So like most of you I have been diligently using my iPad for a few months. Since that time I have gone through and returned 3 cases that were bulky, ugly, or just crappy in quality. I also never took the plunge to buy a keyboard despite a few typos here and there.

My conclusion is that the iPad really doesn't need any accessories at all. Its really quite durable despite not having a case for a month now, and besides we all know as soon as the new one comes out well dump this guy and get that anyway. No point in wrapping this thing in bubble wrap and putting it in a safe, just use it and enjoy it.
I enjoy my iPad very much. But I do use a Belkin Grip Vue case not for protection but for a better grip. For me the satin aluminum finish of the iPad is not very "Grippy" IMHO. I also use a Anti-Glare screen overlay, not for protection but to minimize fingerprints and minimize glare. That's about all the accessories that I use with my iPad.

To each his own I guess.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Mr. Biggles
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaddentist View Post
My conclusion is that the iPad really doesn't need any accessories at all.
Mine wouldn't have a chance bare naked if I took it to job sites I inspect. I would never leave the house without it in some type of appropriate case. Never.

I'm betting the vast majority use some type of case, especially when it leaves the confines of home.
Mr. Biggles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Peterson8765
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytech View Post
I enjoy my iPad very much. But I do use a Belkin Grip Vue case not for protection but for a better grip. For me the satin aluminum finish of the iPad is not very "Grippy" IMHO. I also use a Anti-Glare screen overlay, not for protection but to minimize fingerprints and minimize glare. That's about all the accessories that I use with my iPad.

To each his own I guess.
I agree, I believe the Grip Vue case uses TPU, which I love TPU cases and have used them on my iPod touch that I had before. Matte screen protectors are a must for the iPad and touch because matte just makes it look way better and because of fingerprints and such.
Peterson8765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:59 PM   #5
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post
I'm betting the vast majority use some type of case, especially when it leaves the confines of home.
I agree that most do use a case of some sort. I only use mine, an MEdge sleeve, when I need to carry the iPad out and about. In regular use, it's skinned with a matte finish DecalGirl skin to enhance grip, and that's it.

But a case is a must for transport, and either a case with typing/viewing positions or a stand with the same enhances the iPad experience significantly. I can't say there are no accessories necessary.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

I use the Apple iPad case mostly to increase "grippiness" (is that a word?) compared to a nekked iPad. I like having the cover over the screen but don't know how much it would actually protect the screen if something fell on it.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:20 PM   #7
christianinri
macrumors member

Does the iPad NEED accessories? NO.

Do I the consumer want accessories for it? In my case, yes. I've got an iPad keyboard that I set up with mine when I write extensive documents through the Pages app. I also use a case with it when I travel.

Can I pass by without using either? Sure. But if I prefer to have it, then what's really the problem?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories