Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPaddentist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
So like most of you I have been diligently using my iPad for a few months. Since that time I have gone through and returned 3 cases that were bulky, ugly, or just crappy in quality. I also never took the plunge to buy a keyboard despite a few typos here and there.

My conclusion is that the iPad really doesn't need any accessories at all. Its really quite durable despite not having a case for a month now, and besides we all know as soon as the new one comes out well dump this guy and get that anyway. No point in wrapping this thing in bubble wrap and putting it in a safe, just use it and enjoy it.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
So like most of you I have been diligently using my iPad for a few months. Since that time I have gone through and returned 3 cases that were bulky, ugly, or just crappy in quality. I also never took the plunge to buy a keyboard despite a few typos here and there.

My conclusion is that the iPad really doesn't need any accessories at all. Its really quite durable despite not having a case for a month now, and besides we all know as soon as the new one comes out well dump this guy and get that anyway. No point in wrapping this thing in bubble wrap and putting it in a safe, just use it and enjoy it.

I enjoy my iPad very much. But I do use a Belkin Grip Vue case not for protection but for a better grip. For me the satin aluminum finish of the iPad is not very "Grippy" IMHO. I also use a Anti-Glare screen overlay, not for protection but to minimize fingerprints and minimize glare. That's about all the accessories that I use with my iPad.

To each his own I guess.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
My conclusion is that the iPad really doesn't need any accessories at all.

Mine wouldn't have a chance bare naked if I took it to job sites I inspect. I would never leave the house without it in some type of appropriate case. Never.

I'm betting the vast majority use some type of case, especially when it leaves the confines of home.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I enjoy my iPad very much. But I do use a Belkin Grip Vue case not for protection but for a better grip. For me the satin aluminum finish of the iPad is not very "Grippy" IMHO. I also use a Anti-Glare screen overlay, not for protection but to minimize fingerprints and minimize glare. That's about all the accessories that I use with my iPad.

To each his own I guess.

I agree, I believe the Grip Vue case uses TPU, which I love TPU cases and have used them on my iPod touch that I had before. Matte screen protectors are a must for the iPad and touch because matte just makes it look way better and because of fingerprints and such.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm betting the vast majority use some type of case, especially when it leaves the confines of home.

I agree that most do use a case of some sort. I only use mine, an MEdge sleeve, when I need to carry the iPad out and about. In regular use, it's skinned with a matte finish DecalGirl skin to enhance grip, and that's it.

But a case is a must for transport, and either a case with typing/viewing positions or a stand with the same enhances the iPad experience significantly. I can't say there are no accessories necessary.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I use the Apple iPad case mostly to increase "grippiness" (is that a word?) compared to a nekked iPad. I like having the cover over the screen but don't know how much it would actually protect the screen if something fell on it.

christianinri

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Does the iPad NEED accessories? NO.

Do I the consumer want accessories for it? In my case, yes. I've got an iPad keyboard that I set up with mine when I write extensive documents through the Pages app. I also use a case with it when I travel.

Can I pass by without using either? Sure. But if I prefer to have it, then what's really the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.