Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Nrwrit3r
macrumors 6502a

Text from Computer through iPhone?

I was looking to see if this was possible on google. An old thread came up..but I was wondering: since we can jailbreak the phone and transfer internet (3g) data to our computers through USB/Bluetooth...why can't we send data back to the phone to send a text message through it?

I know you can get the iphone explorer but that thing lags and is pretty crappy in general.

Is it possible for there to be some sort of client that you could have on your computer, that when your phone was in bluetooth range you could reply to texts on the computer? This would be an amazing feature that I think a lot of people would pay for.
Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:58 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Actually, I suspect most people who'd want to do this would probably have their need satisfied by getting a bluetooth keyboard and pairing it to their iPhone in iOS4.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:26 PM   #3
shadygrove
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrwrit3r View Post
I was looking to see if this was possible on google. An old thread came up..but I was wondering: since we can jailbreak the phone and transfer internet (3g) data to our computers through USB/Bluetooth...why can't we send data back to the phone to send a text message through it?

I know you can get the iphone explorer but that thing lags and is pretty crappy in general.

Is it possible for there to be some sort of client that you could have on your computer, that when your phone was in bluetooth range you could reply to texts on the computer? This would be an amazing feature that I think a lot of people would pay for.
A text message is really nothing more than an email. I am a web developer and was exploring different ways to send text messages through a web service or something. There are a number of options, though the good methods are free.

However each carrier (speaking only for the US) has an email address that will route the text message to the phone. I sent my iPhone a text message via email. Each carrier has a different formula (and domain) for generating the correct email.

I am sure there are a number of ways, but these were the ways I came up with during my limited search for my boss. If you know the carrier of the phone (for instance your phone), then I would just send an email. The caller id will show up as some seemingly random number that doesn't look like a phone number.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4
steezy1337
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to steezy1337
if you're happy jailbreaking just use veency, it works fine on the 3gs afaik and it's semi-usable on the ip4
steezy1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone