Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Short answer. No.

You will need to buy a computer at the very least and then some other stuff depending on your setup.

Wateroksnmud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I have a 2010 macbook pro, that's a computer isnt it? Throwing me off. I'm on wireless N with a Netgear WNDR3700 that is cat5 to my Sony XBR9. I also have PS3 that is cat5 to the router if that will help somehow.

AV8TOR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
Fort Worth TX
I was very disappointed that my iMac did not come with an HDMI. I stream my Hulu at home with my work PC laptop.
Some day Apple with get serious and really blow away the PC, just not today. I can't wait for it.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Is it possible to share my screen with my TV via my router?

Is it possible to turn on the lights in my house with my router?
that's pretty much the same question. a router just handles basic network traffic, which can be video, but the router doesn't care what it is. you need hardware to accomplish it, the router just lets you talk to that hardware.

I have a 2010 macbook pro, that's a computer isnt it?

yes it is...
you need to have something at the tv to share the screen with, most likely a second computer. in which case it would be better to use that computer instead of trying to share the screen from your laptop.

You failed to mention the PS3 in your first post, if you want to play back video files on the TV, look at PS3 media server, it will let you stream video files from you mac to the PS3.

I was very disappointed that my iMac did not come with an HDMI. I stream my Hulu at home with my work PC laptop.
Some day Apple with get serious and really blow away the PC, just not today. I can't wait for it.

You can buy adapters to get to hdmi. - no sound - with sound
or if you have a newer mac (MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release), you can get this adapter which gets it's audio from the mini displayport.

I don't understand how apple including a port that has more available bandwith, and with more flexibility, is not "getting serious"

you can get a MDP to VGA adapter, but not HDMI to VGA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.