Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
squaretrade.jpg

a715289e.jpg

5a719565.jpg

I have a warranty with SquareTrade. I checked my mail today to find this in there. Totally unexpected and I was really happy to see this :D I didn't order it or anything. It's actually really great for a free case.

May 8, 2008
I think that this is a freebie they give to customers who purchase iPhone insurance. I got the same case a year ago when I first purchased my policy with them for my 3GS.

Anyways, it's a nice bit of PR.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I bought that exact case (without the sticker thing on he back) with a screen protector for 99p from eBay uk

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Got the same thing. They've been sending me soo many coupons lately I thought it was more junk mail. Until I felt the envelope and realized, there was a case in there..

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
This will save them some money :D

Nothing is done without reason.

This is what I was going to post. They would rather send you a $10 case now to protect it from possible future damage then to have to spend hundreds later when you file a claim.

Nothing is done without a reason

On the plus side, it's not a bad looking case.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
This is what I was going to post. They would rather send you a $10 case now to protect it from possible future damage then to have to spend hundreds later when you file a claim.

Nothing is done without a reason

On the plus side, it's not a bad looking case.

I'd remove a 0 from that $10.. lol

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Can't believe it took this long for someone to realize it.

This and they;re protecting their investment so they won't have to replace a phone if you do break it.

No, they'll still have to replace it. Why do people on MacRumors have the need to make things up as they see fit?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
No, they'll still have to replace it. Why do people on MacRumors have the need to make things up as they see fit?

Of course they'll replace it if it actually gets damaged, but if this $1 case will help protect it from a fall, then it saves SquareTrade money from not having to replace it.

And yes, with that logo, you are a walking Advertisement (a free walking advertisement).

elwood2

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
I have been waiting to use my iP4 till i got a case. Well, i ordered a cheap $6 shipped case from buy.com and i got exactly what i paid for, cheap rigid plastic which is slippery.

So i'm still not using it. Then i see this thread and remember they sent me a cheap silicone case when i got my warranty for my 3G.

I got excited and checked the mail. There was a smaller sized squaretrade envelope. I opened it and it had a fricken squaretrade MAGNET in it!! Along with some 30% off coupons. :mad:

Hopefully they still send the case. My free case from Apple is not shipping till the end of next month!! :(

bobab8ey

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I'd remove a 0 from that $10.. lol

I'd leave the zero, but move the decimal point 2 spots to the left.

I'll give them kudos for being proactive with their customers, as it's more than most others would do, but come on that thing looks like something I'd throw around a beer can to keep it cold. Note: I was gonna say "to keep it cool", but "cool" and that case should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
They rip you off so badly on their so called insurance they can afford to mail you a case that cost them around 10cents in quantity. It's probably the absolute worst value if you sit down with a pen and paper and figure out what you are paying for what you would get and what the options are.

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
TB is correct, I bought the ST coverage and cancelled within a couple days. It's terrible coverage. No coverage for loss or theft and with the replacement cost $199 at Apple you are paying $100 for $50 worth of insurance.

ash =o)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.