Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160141-iphone_4_china.jpg

As noted by AppleInsider, Caixin Online reports that China Unicom will launch the iPhone 4 in September and has secured the rights to sell the iPad in China. The iPhone 4 will be made available in early September while no release date has been specified for the iPad.

It was reported last month that a China Unicom executive had flown to the United States to meet with Apple executives to finalize a distribution deal for the iPad and iPhone 4.

The Wall Street Journal recently reported that China Unicom would begin selling iPhone 3GS models with Wi-Fi enabled just earlier this month, after months of selling the device without Wi-Fi enabled in order to adhere to government regulations.

Article Link: China Unicom to Sell iPhone 4 and iPad

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Did they also manage to get exclusivity on bumper case distribution? :D

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Did they also manage to get exclusivity on bumper case distribution? :D

I hope so, I ordered an iPhone 4 in Hong Kong which will arrive at 8/30(I hope so, the service said delay may occur), but I got a plane to Shanghai at 8/30 afternoon, so it will be impossible for me to get a free bumper.

Anyone who knows if this will include the case program? because 299 RMB for a bumper, blahhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
So, does a worker get to make their own phone? The ultimate customization right in the factory! ;)

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Will the iPhone 4 and iPad have wi-fi disabled again? That would suck. I have some relatives in China on my wife's side. China always tries to push their homegrown tech but in the case of wi-fi I believe it was more of a control issue.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

leping

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2004
They don't need a bamper in China: cell signal is strong everywhere

Your guys have to understand how far the internet/communication technology lags in the US. In China everywhere you go, city or countryside, the cell signal is very strong and rarely drop off 5 bars. Internet connections are fast also and everyone is playing global games or watch movie online. 90% attenuation? Not likely a problem. Most farmers never owned (some never seeing) a land based phone before they got a cell phone.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Your guys have to understand how far the internet/communication technology lags in the US. In China everywhere you go, city or countryside, the cell signal is very strong and rarely drop off 5 bars. Internet connections are fast also and everyone is playing global games or watch movie online. 90% attenuation? Not likely a problem. Most farmers never owned (some never seeing) a land based phone before they got a cell phone.

maybe in urban areas, highly doubtful in rural China.

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
亞洲

I'll hand it to China Unicom, they've done an impressive rollout with their 3G services, but I wouldn't say the service is flawless. I get dropped calls in downtown Shanghai on the regular, and once you hit distant suburbs 3G drops to EDGE or GPRS quite often.

You're comment about fast internet is a joke. The internet in China is a complete effing joke.

tymmini

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
anyone know if taiwan is included in this china date? or will we have to wait for our own separate release date?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.