Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
What is the best photo organization software for MAC? IPHOTO, Aperture, Adobe Bridge, Adobe Lightroom, Picasa?

Thanks for the comments........

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
You are gonna get quite a lot of different opinions however I like Iphoto and Aperture the most but haven't tried Lightroom yet. I dislike Picasa

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
You may get some more tailored replies if you could explain a little about what you're likely to be doing, e.g.

How many photos you'll be organising
What camera(s) you have
Whether you shoot RAW or jpeg
What skill level / amateur/pro/semi-pro
What you'll be doing with the photos e.g. own web site/photo sharing/printing
What computer(s) you'll be using

etc. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What is the best photo organization software for MAC? IPHOTO, Aperture, Adobe Bridge, Adobe Lightroom, Picasa?

Thanks for the comments........

iPhoto is great for organizing images, and is aimed at the consumer.

Aperture and Lightroom are marketed to the prosumer/professional photographer. Both those applications take a different tack to organizing, editing and workflow. I'd suggest you download and try both of them.

I personally use lightroom, adobe's track record of maintaining/updating Lightroom is much better then apple's. Plus I prefer adobe's RAW handling then apple's

Jaxdialation

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Not to Hijack a thread, but your questions seem logical, and I would like to get suggestions as well. I have answered below

You may get some more tailored replies if you could explain a little about what you're likely to be doing, e.g.

How many photos you'll be organising 1000 +
What camera(s) you have #1 Astronomical CCD #2 Cannon MarkV
Whether you shoot RAW or jpegRaw and (Fits 32 bit floating point)
What skill level / amateur/pro/semi-pro Amateur
What you'll be doing with the photos e.g. own web site/photo sharing/printing all of these, plus I usually have a backlog of touchups or processing in progress
What computer(s) you'll be using See my sig line

etc. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.