Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:54 PM   #1
wtmcghee
macrumors member

Normal SIM --> Micro SIM

So, I will be getting my new iPhone in the next couple days and I have been using an oldschool Motorola flip phone for about the past 4 years. What do I have to do to get my contacts from my regular SIM card to this new Micro SIM thing? Do I have to go to an AT&T store and have them transfer all my numbers from one to the other? I don't understand how this will work. Anyone else had to do something similar? I know I can't be the only person that is upgrading from an oldschool phone to new iPhone4.
wtmcghee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:37 PM   #2
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmcghee View Post
So, I will be getting my new iPhone in the next couple days and I have been using an oldschool Motorola flip phone for about the past 4 years. What do I have to do to get my contacts from my regular SIM card to this new Micro SIM thing? Do I have to go to an AT&T store and have them transfer all my numbers from one to the other? I don't understand how this will work. Anyone else had to do something similar? I know I can't be the only person that is upgrading from an oldschool phone to new iPhone4.
AT&T should be able to help you with that, Some store don't carry the tools for old phone anymore in that care you are on your own.

Not sure which motorola phone you got but sometime you have the option to export contacts to your PC, like to Outlook if you are on a PC, or to Windows Contacts if you are on Windows Vista and on. (not sure if OS X was supported by those applications).

If you can get those contact to your PC, you are done, you just need to tell Itunes to sync those contacts and they will be on your new phone.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
christophermdia
macrumors 6502

buy an adapter and then go to an att store and get a microsim, use that in your motorola and then copy your contacts to the sim and just plug into the iphone 4 and use....
christophermdia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:49 PM   #4
colder
macrumors member

they transferred mine from my old phone (normal sim/mini-usb) to the iphone.
colder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:58 PM   #5
bndoarn
macrumors 6502a

How many contacts do you have? I didn't have that many so I entered them all into Google Contacts and used Google Sync to get them on my iPhone. This is also good because now your contacts are always backed-up online so any time something like this happens or you have to restore your phone you can just sync it back up.

If you have too many and this is unrealistic then I would try asking someone at the AT&T to see if they can transfer them. If not then you may need to buy a cord to connect your phone to your computer and get the contacts that way then sync them to the iPhone through iTunes.

If all of that fails then you could get one of those tools to cut regular sim cards into microsim cards (google it) then put it in your iPhone and you can import contacts from the sim within settings on the phone.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone