Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1
JordanWest86
macrumors newbie

Iphone 4 won't stop vibrating

Anyone that has any advice plz let me know. My iphone 4 just started vibrating about 15 mins ago and hasnt stopped since. It is unresponsive, i've tried holding down sleep button, holding down home button, and holding them both down at same time. I plugged it into my wall charger and no response. I plugged it into my laptop and neither itunes nor my computer recognizes it. It just all of a sudden is fried.

It is vibrating as if I am getting a call but no buttons work on it, just a blank screen. I am phoneless once again, what to do?
JordanWest86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:41 PM   #2
lorenwade
macrumors 68000

Take it to the Apple Store?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:43 PM   #3
arashamedani
macrumors member

If you're a girl...take advantage of it ;]
arashamedani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:44 PM   #4
ChazDaSpaz
macrumors regular

This has happened to my friend before. I told him to not plug it in and let the battery run out by itself and charge it up once it was dead. It worked after that, although in your case I'd pay attention to make sure it doesn't happen again. However, if that still doesn't work then yeah, take it to an Apple Store.
ChazDaSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5
JordanWest86
macrumors newbie

Apple Store is 2 hours away so that is a last resort and no, I'm a straight male so that wont be necessary.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:47 PM   #6
ohaithar
macrumors 6502a

Let it die, then recharge it up. Should be normal after that
ohaithar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:47 PM   #7
iEs
macrumors member

Yeah that happened to me last week. I sent a txt and I put my phone on my bed and went downstairs. A minute later, I come up and get my phone and it was vibrating. The screen was black so I tried pressing the sleep button to turn it on but nothing. I just hold down the sleep and home button together for 15 seconds and it stopped. Hasn't happened since. I'd suggest you take yours back to apple
iEs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:45 PM   #8
JordanWest86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEs View Post
Yeah that happened to me last week. I sent a txt and I put my phone on my bed and went downstairs. A minute later, I come up and get my phone and it was vibrating. The screen was black so I tried pressing the sleep button to turn it on but nothing. I just hold down the sleep and home button together for 15 seconds and it stopped. Hasn't happened since. I'd suggest you take yours back to apple
Yea this finally worked for me however, I had to hold down the sleep and home for about 45 seconds.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:36 PM   #9
tigert07
macrumors regular

Wink

This has happened with my 3GS before, I took it to the Apple store and they were happy to give me a new one. However, my iPhone 4 has not had this problem and can only hope it never does.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:51 PM   #10
sat165
macrumors member

Put it in ur mums pants
sat165 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:27 PM   #11
BlondeBuddhist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashamedani View Post
I must admit this is the first thought that ran through my mind.
BlondeBuddhist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashamedani View Post
And why not if you're a guy?
Bernard SG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:21 PM   #13
R0nin
macrumors newbie

I was checking my mail, received a PDF file which my company issues to everyone. It wasn't a malicious PDF file, because I was reading 3 other PDF files before that.

While I was reading the PDF the screen dissolved, matrix style then went black. Not a sudden black screen, but a dissolved transition. Then the phone went dead. Tried the HOME button and POWER button reset for 10 seconds, then 30 seconds, then 1 minute. Nothing. Tried the power button hold for 10 seconds, then 30, then 1 minute, still nothing.

I plugged it into iTunes, synced my phone then it started vibrating non stop. I repeated the soft/hard reset again sequence again and nothing.

After letting the battery die out as it was vibrating, I plugged it the next morning and viiiibrating. I've decided to just bring it back to the Apple store when I get a free day.

Since Apple likes to duplicate the issue, all they have to do is plug it in and watch it dance on the counter. Will make sure there are other people watching too so they know what's up.

UPDATE: battery is 100% dead and won't recharge, every time I try and plug it in it will vibrate, let it on for 4 hours to test if it recharged. NOPE.

Also when I mentioned that it was a PDF i was viewing, it sounds like other people are experiencing the same screen crash/vibrating/dead battery issue when playing games, checking text messages.
R0nin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Leander311
macrumors newbie

I registered here just to say this same thing happened to me this morning. Wouldn't respond to anything, so I took to the AT&T store. They said they had not seen this condition before, and only Apple store takes can issue replacements, so I drove 20mi to AS, and it was promptly replaced with a new one.

They did mention if you don't clear out your "multi-tasking app functionality" every so often, it will lock up, and this issue was a possible result. Whatever...
Leander311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Mammadramma
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanWest86 View Post
Apple Store is 2 hours away so that is a last resort and no, I'm a straight male so that wont be necessary.
I feel your pain I drove 2 hour today to the app store got a new phone cause my speaker Whete broke now this won't stop vibrating
Mammadramma is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting