Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Kinda know what you mean. But it is cool that they work rather than not.

I have deleted a few 'cos I'd rather just grab my iPhone and use them in their original state. Games can work better x2 than my productivity apps I find.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
just pretend it's 1982 and you have an atari.
Some look okay, some were deleted, some were replaced with iPad apps. Personal preference, most don't bother me at all. AT least they work. Like RemoteTap. Paid for, works well enough, alternatives are too expensive.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
just pretend it's 1982 and you have an atari.
Some look okay, some were deleted, some were replaced with iPad apps. Personal preference, most don't bother me at all. AT least they work. Like RemoteTap. Paid for, works well enough, alternatives are too expensive.

Agreed. Text based apps are more of a problem than most games though, for example. I've picked up quite a few games for free that translate well enough from the iPhone to the iPad in 2x mode. Often I enjoy them more because they're easier to play on the larger screen.

I did find a few of my iPhone favs respond decently to using the JB app FullForce. There's a lot that don't work with it, but one I've used for years, Checklist Wrangler, looks so much better in FullForce mode that by itself it would have been worth the potential hassle of the jailbreak. MLB at bat for the iPhone works reasonably well in FullForce too, at least from a text perspective, and that's a plus because I refuse to drop another $10 to pick up the iPad version.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I couldn't stand them. And what is better, x2 mode or Retina? I think the answer is obvious. But I do agree that it is better that they allowed iPhone apps to be used on ipads. There would be torturous whining if they didn't...

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Agreed, 2x apps are no fun.

Here's hoping that OS4 on iPad will display "retina" iPhone apps in 960x640, almost using up the entire iPad screen and making for a much more enjoyable experience! Seems like a no-brainer to me.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
There are only a handful of iPhone apps that I still keep on my iPad, and most of those are text based. I agree that the blown up text looks awful in those cases.

I recognize that the total number of iPad owners is much smaller than the market for iPhone apps, so maybe theres just not that big of an incentive for app makers to port their wares to the iPad just yet. But I do find myself somewhat disappointed in the overall lack of apps for the iPad versus my iPhone. It could be illusory, however, relative to where the iPhone sat with apps at 4MM units sold.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Yeh, I'd suggest FullForce form Cydia too. Although it only works with some apps.
And if hackers can enable an app for full screen iPad...why can't the devs?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Agreed, 2x apps are no fun.

Here's hoping that OS4 on iPad will display "retina" iPhone apps in 960x640, almost using up the entire iPad screen and making for a much more enjoyable experience! Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Totally, the 2X thing sucks. Your idea for retina apps sounds good to me, hopefully the GPU in the iPad can handle it.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Yep, hate it.

I'm just really ready for iOS 4 to hit the iPad, so I can use last.fm while doing other stuff.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Yeah I hope in iOS 4 the ipad renders text on x2 iphone apps like the iphone 4 does with iphone 360x480 apps, won't fix pixelated graphics but text will be reasonable.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yup, agreed. I hate the iPhone apps on the iPad. Really waiting for a bunch of updates and 4.0. :cool:

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah I hope in iOS 4 the ipad renders text on x2 iphone apps like the iphone 4 does with iphone 360x480 apps, won't fix pixelated graphics but text will be reasonable.

+1.

While I can play things like Bejeweled and Sudoku 2 okay in 2x mode, most of the RSS/news sites I read as iPhone apps look TERRIBLE in 2x mode because of the text. Definitely looking forward to a better rendering of text on the iPad for the 2x apps. If iPhone 4 can do it, there's no reason why iPad can't do it.

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Just wait till the new itouch comes out which will probably be retina display then more apps will make the switch and it will look better on your ipad

ThatGuyUK

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
I think what they should have done is left the homescreen up and had the iPhone apps come up as a sort of pop up window (similar to how the inbox shows up in Mail etc.).
They could have the homescreen icons go translucent similar to how multitasking works in iOS4 so your focus is on the app window. I think this would stop the app looking ridiculous as it does currently on just a black background on a huge screen. They could even leave the full screen option in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.