Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitegoodmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Hello everyone! This is my first Mac product I have every bought.
I just bought an ibook G4 1.33GHz 1GB 40GB and its the 12". I have only owned it for a week and I like the size and I'm surprised by the smoothness of the OS. I have Windows 7 and my desktop and the two operating systems kind of remind me of each other.
My question is can I put MS office on the ibook? I need office for school because papers I turn in have to be in this format. Also is there a place that sells the top and bottom case covers? They are a little scratched up and it would be nice if it looked new again. Thanks!

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Congrats! What Mac OS X version is it running? Microsoft sells a version of Office for Mac.

whitegoodmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. It says its os x 10.4.4. I have played around with leopard on a macbook and like it a lot, but I still like the feel of this os.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
if it is os x 10.4.4 i would use the software updater to update t to 10.4.11. i have a g3 imac running os x 10.4.11 and a g4 powerbook running 10.4.11 and they both run it quite well. both machines are far better than any windows crap

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the apple menue is quiet easy to find click on the the small :apple: top left and you will spot what you need :)

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
It's a nice computer (I've had one for five years now, same model as yours). Very reliable. I use iWork on it, but it did come with an Office trial - 2004 I think.

It's totally useless for Flash though - no Farmville for you! And videos struggle.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
It's a nice computer (I've had one for five years now, same model as yours). Very reliable. I use iWork on it, but it did come with an Office trial - 2004 I think.

It's totally useless for Flash though - no Farmville for you! And videos struggle.

farmville works and all the other games i play mafia wars and did play it on my iBook g4 1.42 with 768mb ram and still play it on my mac mini g4 1.42 with 1gb ram without trouble and i can watch youtube videos all up to 360p without trouble

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Congratulations! I think it's a great idea to get the iBook as you are familiarising yourself to MacOS. As others said, Microsoft Office 2008 would work there, you should be able to get a good deal on it as a student. You could also try OpenOffice.org which is free and Microsoft-compatible.

You can get a new outer shell for the iBook, I don't remember who makes them. You can also get vinyl skins for it as a poster above suggested. Those you can get from iskin or gelaskins or decalgirl.

Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.