Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdw56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
I'm trying to apply the same transition to a number of consecutive scenes in iMovie 09. The intuitive thing to do is to highlight the scenes and try and drag a transition into al of them. It doesn't work. It only goes in the one place rather than across all of them.

I've looked hard for a solution here, without success. Any ideas or thoughts?

bdw56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Any ideas?

Does anyone have any helpful advice on this question?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I think that because a transition affects two seperate scenes, you must place said transition deliberately between the two scenes you want.

Otherwise, let's say you highlight 10 scenes....do you want ONLY 9 transitions...between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3......and 8 and 9, and 9 and 10. OR do you also want a transition to be placed at the beginning and end of that group of scenes? Or just the end? So maybe 10 or 11 transitions?

As you can see, given the necessity of placing a specific transition between two scenes, it would be tough to do it over a number of them. iMovie could assume, but that assumption may be wrong and that would not fit in with the usual Apple experience.

How many transitions are you placing that this is a big issue?

bdw56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I guess that I would like to be able to use multiple transition (which I understand were available in iMovie 08) when editing holiday videos, for example, where as well as having video footage, there are a fair number of photos interspersed. Sometimes I want to include a set of maybe 15 photos, each for a short time. Then, I would love to be able to select all of them and insert an identical transition. And yet I don't want to have the inflexibility of having automatic transition.

Thanks for the help. :)

snaoitanb

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Copy & Paste saves a little time

You can drop a transition between two clips, set it up the way you like, copy it, and then paste over and over again between subsequent clips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.