Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1
jeffreyzwerner
macrumors newbie

Setting up ad hoc network for wireless printing

Hello. I am attempting to create an ad hoc network for the purpose of wireless printing, but I am clueless how to do so, or if it is even a possibility. I am a student and I do not want to connect my printer to the school's wireless network, nor do I want to connect via the USB interface. These are the peripherals:

Macbook Pro 13", 10.6.4
Brother HL 2170w

Can anyone explain to me how I might go about setting up a network on my Macbook Pro that my printer would be able to connect with? Thanks for any help
jeffreyzwerner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Click the Airport icon in the menu at the top. Then select Create Network. Give it a generic name, the security is weak but a good idea to keep out the occasional user. So click the Require Password box and give it a password. When done click OK. Now you just have to tell the printer to join it.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
jeffreyzwerner
macrumors newbie

does my new ad hoc network support SecureEasySetup, Wi-Fi Protected Setup, or AOSS? If so, I can connect the printer to this network using he one-push method.

If not, does anyone know of a different way to connect my model printer to the ad hoc network without the use of a temporary cable?
jeffreyzwerner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals