Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I bought a MobileMe in April, and I wanted to use it as my new Apple ID. Since it was its own entity right from the start, and I wasn't able to change my old email (also your ID) to my new MobileMe account email address, half of my apps are on my old account, and half are on my new one.

Generally this wouldn't be an issue, however, it is.

When it comes time for an app to update (one that I've purchased on my new ID), the App Store on my phone prompts me for my old ID. Obviously, since Apple can't differentiate the accounts, and it believes the accounts are separately owned, I get an error saying I can't update the app without buying it. I was able to redownload all of the apps that were free to my new ID, and they're set now. It's the purchased ones that are the trouble makers.

If I were having this problem with just one app, it wouldn't be a problem. But we're looking at 47 apps I've PAID for here. Obviously I don't want to pay for them twice.

Dealing with iTunes Support via email (since they aren't special enough to have their own phone line for some reason) is inconvenient, time consuming, and frustrating.

Anyone know what the problem might be, or how I might fix it? Long story short, the App Store is prompting me for the login to the wrong account, and it's giving me an error saying I need to buy it.

Thanks.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Dealing with iTunes Support via email (since they aren't special enough to have their own phone line for some reason) is inconvenient, time consuming, and frustrating.

As far as I know only iTunes support can merge two accounts into one. I've contacted them once for another issue and I had not problem with them, just a couple emails and the problem was fixed in a couple days.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I have been emailing over the course of the last week or so, and since the rep I am getting assistance from only works from Wed. to Sun., it's taking too long to fix the issue. They have already told me they can't merge two accounts or transfer apps purchased from one to another.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
According to iTunes support, it's because the app developers no longer offer free updates, which is bull sh**. If this were the case, I wouldn't get an error when downloading FREE apps.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
On your computer, log into your old account. Go to the Apps tab and click the option to download all available updates. Then log into your new account and do the same thing. Plug in your phone and it should copy all of the updates across.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
On your computer, log into your old account. Go to the Apps tab and click the option to download all available updates. Then log into your new account and do the same thing. Plug in your phone and it should copy all of the updates across.

This is the workaround though. It still does not fix the issue on my iPhone.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
According to iTunes support, it's because the app developers no longer offer free updates, which is bull sh**. If this were the case, I wouldn't get an error when downloading FREE apps.

I don't know what they said to you but this is totally untrue, I'm a developer and free updates are normal!
I've released a couple free updates two days ago...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.