Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Hey everyone. To make a long story short, Im on my 2nd Iphone replacement (last one was overheating and had weird problems it shouldn't do).

Now my 2nd one works fine and all, but I have 1 question. The home button makes a weird clicking noise depending where I move it.

Let me explain further, lets say I move the home button down and it clicks, the only way I can make it click again is if I move it up, and if I move it up and decide to move it down, I hear the click, or If I move it the the left side-to-side it will click, vice versa. Its like when i move the button, there's thing clicking into place at North south east or west lol.

Now to go a bit further, it DOESN'T click in any sort of way if I shake the phone, or just barely touch the home button, and it doesn't look loose at all, so idk. It doesn't affect the performance of the phone because every time I click it, it works, 100% of the time.

I just was wondering if this IS INDEED A DEFECT, or is this something that is common for Iphone 4 users. And Im really contemplating on replacing it or not, because I don't want to get a screwed up replacement or 5k one lol, and I am thinking, that the button might adjust itself overtime but idk, its been over 3 weeks with this replacement so.......

Maybe its just me, idk, its something I can live with I just have that weird OCD, but I can live with it UNLESS IT A DEFECT that needs to be replaced and that shouldn't click what soever.

It just so hard to believe that I went 2 hours to my local Apple store, and I saw them take it right out of a black box with plastic and all, and it clicks lol? I don't have another right now to test so im thinking they all pretty much do this except a few.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Glad to hear that. I know I know OCD, but Im not judging the performance, i wanted to know if this was a DEFECT or not, but I just wanted to make sure it wasnt just me. I would hate to drive and go get another replacement lololol.

danielroman

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
los angeles
Once in awhile when I do press the home button once it acts like I double tapped and brings up the multitask bar. Not sure what that is about.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Same with me. On the lock screen, one tap and it'll bring up the ipod player sometimes also.

Once in awhile when I do press the home button once it acts like I double tapped and brings up the multitask bar. Not sure what that is about.

Count me in as well. My Home button exhibits the same annoying behavior from time to time.

Single-click and it brings up the multitasking tray. Double-click and it goes into spotlight instead of multitasking tray. And sometimes the click doesn't register at all. Very frustrating.

Maybe its a software issue?

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Actually I can make the click noise without the phone being on.

Its like if I move ^ (up) I hear it, and it wont click again until I move it V (down)

Should I be experiencing this? Is this something that will eventually happen even if I get another replacement? Or should I just keep the phone I have now, and deal with it lol?

Solange82200

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
Someone in another thread said that all replacement phones so far are new, as it is too soon and they dont have refurbs yet. Is that true?

I got my Iphone 4 replaced the other day due to the camera lens being scratched (even though I have had it in a case), and the guy took it out of a generic black box, but as far as I can tell it is brand new.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I've made a short video to explain my issue, sorry about the quality and comeout, i just used a mirror to show what im hearing, it sounds like a pop or click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pNUROXwnpc

Should I be experiencing this? Is this something that will eventually happen even if I get another replacement? Or should I just keep the phone I have now, and deal with it lol?

fkhan83

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
The first replacement that I got, the home button didn't work at all. Luckly I tried it right there in the store and got it replaced with another replacement that worked.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Mine doesn't do that. It's pretty fixed in there. I can only press it and let it go. No moving left and right, etc. I would take it back to the Apple store to show them.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Gotcha, just made a reservation at local apple store. 2 hours going, 2 hours back lol. I hate to replace it, but I really really dont think this should be happening.

S.Kay

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Gotcha, just made a reservation at local apple store. 2 hours going, 2 hours back lol. I hate to replace it, but I really really dont think this should be happening.

It seems like you are just searching for any excuse to get a replacement..Your PHONE IS FINE stop wasting Apple's time!

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
You know if you call Applecare they'll probably just ship you a replacement and let you ship yours back right? No need to drive 4 hrs.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
It seems like you are just searching for any excuse to get a replacement..Your PHONE IS FINE stop wasting Apple's time!

Trust me, im in no way looking for an excuse, it cost almost $30 in gas to go there and thats not the 4 toll ways, eating expense and etc. This is a last resort since others are not experiencing what i showed in the video, and i dont want to be screwed down the line if the problem persist.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
You know if you call Applecare they'll probably just ship you a replacement and let you ship yours back right? No need to drive 4 hrs.

Do I have to secure my credit card or anything like that if i do this?

Solange82200

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
I see nothing wrong with this. For god's sake, you are paying 2 to 3 hundred dollars on a piece of equipment, signing your life away for two years with a contract, and are tied to this handset for one year if your lucky, usually two years.

After all that, my new phone better be damn perfect. End of story.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
If you are not happy with it and feel that the button is defective, you should talk to a genius in the store. I've heard of loose home buttons but mine is ok so there might be something wrong with it. I got a 3G replaced for a little piece of dirt under the screen. Wasn't a big deal but the apple guy completely agreed that it shouldn't be like that and took care of it. Won't hurt to try and 30$ isn't bad , my closest store is 2 1/2 hrs. away.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Took it to the genius bar, got it replaced, couldnt have been better :).

Here is my ONLY question, my serial now starts with 5k, not that I am worried too much, by I CLEARLY asked the rep was it a refurb or not, he said no, that 5k means the location it came from, and that this phone is "brand new" (he even opened it in the black box. So Im thinking it might be brand new, but come from a refurb factory. Idk, someone clear me up on this.

Anyways woot hoot, the phone is working, and is much better.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Took it to the genius bar, got it replaced, couldnt have been better :).

Here is my ONLY question, my serial now starts with 5k, not that I am worried too much, by I CLEARLY asked the rep was it a refurb or not, he said no, that 5k means the location it came from, and that this phone is "brand new" (he even opened it in the black box. So Im thinking it might be brand new, but come from a refurb factory. Idk, someone clear me up on this.

Anyways woot hoot, the phone is working, and is much better.

It's a refurb.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
are u sure? if so, is it aany con to having a refurb?

Afaik all iphones that start w/ a 5k are refurbs. Imo, no, it's in all new housing, it's not like you can tell. I believe they are even more thoroughly checked than new ones too.

RalphMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
what luck, the rep told me the weak signal was due to their location, i go outside, and no signal bars, what gives. and this clearly clearly has the death grip. I didnt have this on my last one.

I mean it wont even have 5, wait correction, it will as soon as i barely put my hand by it, the it goes to 4, never had this before lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.