Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:12 AM   #1
kseh
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Can you get into DFU mode if stuck in recovery mode?

My iPhone 2G with 3.1.3 started acting up on me a couple of days ago and would get locked/ unjailbroken everytime i would hard reset it or turn the iPhone off. I would simply restore it to 3.1.3 firmware then jailbreak with redsn0w. But yesterday it would not let me restore the phone. I tried literally every firmware from 1.xx to 3.1.3 and would not restore. Now i get "Error (28)". Ive also tried restoring it on different computers/USB ports/ USB cables/different iTunes versions but nothing seems to work. Ive also tried using Ireb, Redsn0w, Blackra1n, Recboot, Spirit, iRecovery, winpwn, quickpwn, but I can't get out of this Error (28). Someone mentioned that if i got it into DFU mode then maybe i could clean the firmware from any corrupter restore and could get it back up. Does anyone know how to get into DFU mode from recovery mode, or better yet how to fix this Error (28)?? ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated....like seriously
kseh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, you can always get to DFU mode no matter how bad you screwed up.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:37 AM   #3
celticpride678

Yes, DFU mode can be activated anywhere.
celticpride678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:40 AM   #4
kseh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride678 View Post
Yes, DFU mode can be activated anywhere.
Thank you for the response. Now, when i turn on my iPhone it shows the apple logo then it goes straight to the connect to iTunes black screen, and when connected to the computer it says that iTunes has detected an Iphone in recovery mode. How exactly do i get into DFU mode from recovery mode exactly?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
celticpride678

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseh View Post
Thank you for the response. Now, when i turn on my iPhone it shows the apple logo then it goes straight to the connect to iTunes black screen, and when connected to the computer it says that iTunes has detected an Iphone in recovery mode. How exactly do i get into DFU mode from recovery mode exactly?
Hold down the lock button and home button simultaneously for roughly 10 seconds. Let go of the lock button, but keep holding the home button until iTunes says there is a device in recovery mode and the iPhone's display is blank.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

So if it recognized it then let it restore thru itunes.
It wont make a difference if you restored it with recovery or DFU restore.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:43 AM   #7
celticpride678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
An error shows up, according to the OP.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:44 AM   #8
kseh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
The problem is that i tried that both custom restore by holding shift and "restore and update" but I get the Error (28)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Sorry, I read it too fast and missed that part on his first post.
Then try getting it to DFU and if its still giving you an error it might be a hardware problem.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:50 AM   #10
kseh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I think i got it into DFU properly. Still got Error (28) though I would hate to have to solder another logic board.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:53 AM   #11
celticpride678

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseh View Post
I think i got it into DFU properly. Still got Error (28) though I would hate to have to solder another logic board.
Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:17 AM   #12
kseh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.
What a disappointment, well... eBay here I come!!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting