Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kseh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
My iPhone 2G with 3.1.3 started acting up on me a couple of days ago and would get locked/ unjailbroken everytime i would hard reset it or turn the iPhone off. I would simply restore it to 3.1.3 firmware then jailbreak with redsn0w. But yesterday it would not let me restore the phone. I tried literally every firmware from 1.xx to 3.1.3 and would not restore. Now i get "Error (28)". Ive also tried restoring it on different computers/USB ports/ USB cables/different iTunes versions but nothing seems to work. Ive also tried using Ireb, Redsn0w, Blackra1n, Recboot, Spirit, iRecovery, winpwn, quickpwn, but I can't get out of this Error (28). Someone mentioned that if i got it into DFU mode then maybe i could clean the firmware from any corrupter restore and could get it back up. Does anyone know how to get into DFU mode from recovery mode, or better yet how to fix this Error (28)?? ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated....like seriously

kseh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Yes, DFU mode can be activated anywhere.

Thank you for the response. Now, when i turn on my iPhone it shows the apple logo then it goes straight to the connect to iTunes black screen, and when connected to the computer it says that iTunes has detected an Iphone in recovery mode. How exactly do i get into DFU mode from recovery mode exactly?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Thank you for the response. Now, when i turn on my iPhone it shows the apple logo then it goes straight to the connect to iTunes black screen, and when connected to the computer it says that iTunes has detected an Iphone in recovery mode. How exactly do i get into DFU mode from recovery mode exactly?

Hold down the lock button and home button simultaneously for roughly 10 seconds. Let go of the lock button, but keep holding the home button until iTunes says there is a device in recovery mode and the iPhone's display is blank.

kseh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
So if it recognized it then let it restore thru itunes.
It wont make a difference if you restored it with recovery or DFU restore.

The problem is that i tried that both custom restore by holding shift and "restore and update" but I get the Error (28) :(

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I think i got it into DFU properly. Still got Error (28) though :( I would hate to have to solder another logic board.

Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.

kseh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.

What a disappointment, well... eBay here I come!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.