Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hi,

I might buy a 2nd hand white 3GS and was wondering how all the white 3GS's have been holding up after a year since its release. I remember all the issues with yellowing, cracking etc. Still issues or not?

Thanks,

snverhallen

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
They generally will look much better than the black ones, but expect to find some cracks near the Dock connect or volume rocker.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
They are great phones, I still have my White 32GB 3GS which is mint since I bought it I have kept it in a case, now my 17 year old has it, so I am guessing in another year, it will be trashed.

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
Why does everyone seem to think that white iPhones yellow? I have a white 3GS and it's just as white as it was on Day 1. Never heard of any white ones yellowing, except for that red case that bled and melded into the plastic because of heat. But that would technically be redding.....

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
White iPhones don't show scratches like the black ones do.

BUT the white iPhones show the cracks. Mine is by the camera, dock, connector, volume rocker, and headphone jack

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
really it's all a matter of who you're buying the phone from and how well they maintained their units. Whites show cracks more easily than scratches whereas the black ones show scratches more easily than cracks. Not sure if you're buying the phone online or through a friend but, if the latter, you'll want to take a close look at the phone if you can.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I had my white 3G for a year, and my white 3GS for almost a year and never saw any difference after a year, other than fingerprints. :)

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
cracks in a 3GS with no evidence of drops or user abuse are automatically replaced at Apple stores...I exchanged a 3GS twice because of cracks in the case

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
We'll you know what they say it pays to take are of your belongings. I have had my 3GS for 11 months and still just as white and crackless as it was when I bought it. I always have it in my incase slider and it even saved it from a horrendous fall out of my sweater pocket while running to catch a bus. But you always get those people who cry foul, " the cracks just appeared one day":rolleyes:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I sold my one year old 32GB white 3GS back in June. It was in a iSkin Revo2 case since day one so there were only minor scratches on the bezel. The back was spotless and the screen always had a PS anti glare on it. There was one very small crack on the top near the sim tray. I have no idea when that crack got there but it was practically invisible because it was so small.

Other than that, it was a great phone.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I recently just sold mine. I ran it caseless a majority of the time, including my national guard drill weekends (not the best idea I ever had). It does have the same cracks that everyone else is mentioning. Dock connector, ringer switch and a little bit by the headphone jack. My screen maintained very well however. I only had it for about 6 months though. Now my iP4 is sitting pretty inside it's Otter Box case. I will not let it endure the hardships that my 3Gs went through.

KameronBriggs

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Somewhere Sunny, California
Why does everyone seem to think that white iPhones yellow? I have a white 3GS and it's just as white as it was on Day 1. Never heard of any white ones yellowing, except for that red case that bled and melded into the plastic because of heat. But that would technically be redding.....

Compare it to a 3G, and you'll see the slight shade difference.
They yellow, but it's not noticable unless you compare it side to side to maybe a 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.