Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1
MacIIe
macrumors newbie

disc inserted does not have enough free space (but it is a good blank disc)

Hello,

I am having difficulty burning a dmg file to a blank disc. I have a macbook pro with OS X 10.5.8. I am using disk utility to attempt this feat but it is being difficult. The blank disc is a 702 MB and the image is ~540 MB. When I attempt to burn the image onto the blank disc, it says the disc inserted does not have enough free space. 1) The disc is blank. 2) The image is less than the capacity of the disc. I tried another blank disc and it still reports the same issue. The blank discs work just fine in Windows and it reports it as such. Why is Mac OS reporting there is no free space when, in fact, there is?

Thank you.
MacIIe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Mal
macrumors 603

If it's a compressed image format, it may be larger than the CD once expanded. Mount the disk image (just double-click it) and get info on the mounted image to find out the actual expanded size. If it's larger than ~700MB, you'll have to use a DVD instead.

If this was an image of a CD that was the same size originally, then someone else will probably have to help you.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help