Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
System info:
Enclosure: OWC Mercury Elite-Pro Dual Bay (RAID Enclosure)
Comp: MacBook Pro 13" 2009
Connected enclosure via firewire800 with 2x 2tb hitachi drives.

So I picked up an Open Box version of essentially this enclosure:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW936AL2/

(the differences is, the light is not in the direct center of the enclosure as pictured and the little blue switch is not on the logicboard under the fan like it was pictured in the instructional booklet).

Now going through the instructional manual, and wanting to set it up as a RAID 0 i noticed that on my enclosure there wasnt a place on the board for it to switch it to proper type of configuration i wanted.

And their site is a little messy (imho) to find the proper info and so many variants of their enclosures.

So heres what my enclosure board looks like:
owc.jpg

I put two 2TB drives in the enclosure (2 Hitachi Deskstar 7200s).
plug it in via FireWire800 to my MacBookPro and get the initialize the drive alert and thats where iam at. I havent set up this particular enclosure before so im not sure if its all software controlled now and the best way to go about configuring it the way I want it to (RAID 0 for now).

and how to go about in the future changing it if i say wanted RAID 1 or JBOD.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
System info:
Enclosure: OWC Mercury Elite-Pro Dual Bay (RAID Enclosure)
Comp: MacBook Pro 13" 2009
Connected enclosure via firewire800 with 2x 2tb hitachi drives.

So I picked up an Open Box version of essentially this enclosure:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW936AL2/

(the differences is, the light is not in the direct center of the enclosure as pictured and the little blue switch is not on the logicboard under the fan like it was pictured in the instructional booklet).

Now going through the instructional manual, and wanting to set it up as a RAID 0 i noticed that on my enclosure there wasnt a place on the board for it to switch it to proper type of configuration i wanted.

And their site is a little messy (imho) to find the proper info and so many variants of their enclosures.

So heres what my enclosure board looks like:
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7708/owc.jpg[/img]

I put two 2TB drives in the enclosure (2 Hitachi Deskstar 7200s).
plug it in via FireWire800 to my MacBookPro and get the initialize the drive alert and thats where iam at. I havent set up this particular enclosure before so im not sure if its all software controlled now and the best way to go about configuring it the way I want it to (RAID 0 for now).

and how to go about in the future changing it if i say wanted RAID 1 or JBOD.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I have the same issue as the OP... need to setup this drive as JBOD, but not able to figure out how. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

StE823

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Toronto
I bought the same enclosure and I can't figure out how to set it up as RAID1, the drive is now RAID0 right out of the box... It says it support both RAID0 and 1 on the box. Kinda frustrated...

StE823

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Toronto
Thanks man, just got an email from them.. Apparently the firemware update can only be done on 10.6.8... I need to find someone who can give me a help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.