Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranguvar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4. Can I use it without a sim card? The reason I'm asking is I'd like to have the iPhone, but only get the cell phone contract in a few months, because I don't need a contract right now.

Cheers,
ranguvar

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4. Can I use it without a sim card? The reason I'm asking is I'd like to have the iPhone, but only get the cell phone contract in a few months, because I don't need a contract right now.

Cheers,
ranguvar

As long as it is activated, you can indeed use it as an iPod touch.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Is that possible without a SIM card? (Sorry, I never owned an iPhone and don't know anybody who does...)

Don't think you can complete the activation process without a SIM card. If not, the message on your phone will keep telling you to install a valid SIM to finalize the activation process.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
If you buy factory unlocked it still requires a SIM card to activate it... without a SIM card as mentioned above you wil get a message stating you need to enter a SIM card to activate the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.