Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigstick94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Hey so I've narrowed down my choices to an SGP Steinheil or Power Support Crystal, which one do you guys think is better? I want a screen protector that doesnt affect the retina display, and that makes the screen smooth that makes my finger glide across the screen easily, I don't like that Zagg stuff that makes the screen really sticky and hard to use, so which one should I get? Thanks

wattsja

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
SGP oleophobic for me.

(A poll would have been easier to keep up with the results)

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
I have always used PS on all previous iPhones (have had every one) but I got a SGP Oleo in this week and I am VERY happy with it. It was considerably cheaper(got it for $13 shipped off EBay) and so far it seems as good if not better than the PS.....better in that with the Oleo coating it is very easy to wipe off dirt & fingerprints. You can not even tell it is on the phone.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I've had both the SGP and PS and can say the PS is better. I didn't like the finish of the plastic on the SGP. Both are clear, but the finish on the PS makes it look more like the original screen on phone when looking at it from an angle.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I got the PS crystal/antiglare 3 piece set because I didn't really want to put an AG skin on the
beautiful retina display but I was worried about fingerprints on the crystal. So I have the crystal on and it gets pretty greasy, although not worse than the bare screen. When I get fed up with the fingerprints, I'll probably switch to the AG. The AG really reduces fingerprints alot.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I'm assuming you're referring to the SGP Ultra Crystal vs Power Support Crystal film set.

To the trained eye, the SGP Ultra Crystal is very slightly clearer than the PS Crystal, but for the average user you won't notice a difference.

Both screens are fingerprint magnets and both are semi-prone to scratching.

The SGP has a more precise cut and thus is slightly more difficult to install, but it's harder to notice that there is a screen protector on because there are no gaps between the home button and the screen protector like there are on the PS.

If you don't anticipate on needing customer service, I would recommend the SGP. If you think you do, then choose Power Support as SGP is really slow.

In general my recommendations are:
Matte: Power Support HD Anti-Glare
Middle-Ground: SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic
Clear: SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Crystal

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Watch out that some vendors are shipping the old SGP design that lacks the widened opening that includes the front facing camera. Amazon sub vendor is working on a fix for me. I bought two of them and used one, after having cut the hole wider. It isn't pretty. :(

This just in, a Power Support. So when the existing one tanks, on it will go. ;)

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
My friend bought a bunch of PS product. So he gave me his extras the other night. I tried the PS AntiG and it wasn't bad BUT I felt it did hinder the display. I ripped that off (have one more left) and put on the Ole. I have to say the Ole is the best for clarity. Its almost as if there is nothing on there. At first it was tacky feeling but after a few hours it became smooth as glass. The cut is pretty accurate and for me it was a very easy install.

Now we shall see how well the Ole holds up for everyday use. I didn't give the PS Anti a chance but...I also have a few PS Crystals I should try

Ole for me right now. I ordered on eBay from someone in IN. But it was dropped shipped from SGP anyway (pretty fast shipping) so... it is the updated version

bigstick94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Thanks for the input guys, I think i'm gonna go ahead and purchase the SGP Ultra Oleophobic

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
same, going for oleo, hate it when people use my phone and their face is oily

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Watch out that some vendors are shipping the old SGP design that lacks the widened opening that includes the front facing camera. Amazon sub vendor is working on a fix for me. I bought two of them and used one, after having cut the hole wider. It isn't pretty. :(

This just in, a Power Support. So when the existing one tanks, on it will go. ;)

For what it's worth, I prefer the older cut that covers the front camera. It doesn't affect image quality and there's one less thing to worry about getting scratched. Like others said, I also like the more precise cut of the SGP, although I do like the cut-out for the rear protector on the PS more.

SGP Oleophobic front + PS back would be the perfect combo, if it existed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.