Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Arizona
It just occured to me that I spend a lot of time looking at my home screen because I'm so impressed with how great the retina display looks. Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy? :D

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
You're not crazy, and the iPhone 4 display is nice but nothing new.

It's just a small IPS display. I've had the same exact technology on my ThinkPad displays for over five years.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Initially, yes. Now, not so much since I've grown accustomed to it. As a result, can't even look at a 3G/3GS screen the same anymore. Spoiled now :p

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007

It's just a small IPS display. I've had the same exact technology on my ThinkPad displays for over five years.

The IPS isn't whats great about the screen. While thats nice, its the amazing resolution that makes it great

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
the iPhone 4 display is nice but nothing new.

Its got by far the highest DPI of any screen ever brought to market, and probably about 4x the DPI of your ThinkPad. That's something "new".

I AN LEGEND

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010

buzz killington...

but yes, i agree. every time i take a dump i end up there for longer than necessary .

kdarling

macrumors P6
Its got by far the highest DPI of any screen ever brought to market, and probably about 4x the DPI of your ThinkPad. That's something "new".

The 2008 LG-LU1400 phone had a higher PPI... 333 vs 326. It's probably one reason Apple went with an LG display.

The 2007 Toshiba Portege G900 was the first smartphone advertised with "print quality" (300PPI or more) at 311 PPI. It's probably why Apple made up the "retina" term, so they wouldn't sound like second place and years late.

The 2008 Xperia X1 also had 311PPI.

Apple's in an interesting situation, display-wise, since they've apparently locked themselves into multiples of 480x320 for the iPhone. They cannot double the 960x640 again in the same screen size, as it make no visual or technical sense.

They also cannot increase the screen size without the PPI going down, although their definition of "retina" allows for that, since you can simply hold the device further away to achieve it.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The 2008 LG-LU1400 phone had a higher PPI... 333 vs 326. It's probably one reason Apple went with an LG display.

The 2007 Toshiba Portege G900 was the first smartphone advertised with "print quality" (300PPI or more) at 311 PPI. It's probably why Apple made up the "retina" term, so they wouldn't sound like second place and years late.

Ok fine, the highest DPI screen ever brought to market outside of Korea. :rolleyes:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008

Apple's in an interesting situation, display-wise, since they've apparently locked themselves into multiples of 480x320 for the iPhone. They cannot double the 960x640 again in the same screen size, as it make no visual or technical sense.

They also cannot increase the screen size without the PPI going down, although their definition of "retina" allows for that, since you can simply hold the device further away to achieve it.

Great to know all that. Hadn't thought about Apple defining "retina" based on not only PPI, but the distance away from which the screen is held.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I enjoy staring at my LG LH90 55" TV [ IPS Panel ] ... The iP4's screen IS gorgeous.. but I've never been fixated on it.. :)

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
Try going outside and staring at REAL-LIFEp. I think you will be amazed with its clarity and detail.

Then again you're in Arizona so maybe you won't

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I have. I'm continuously amazed by the crispness of the images, text, etc. I was looking at Android phones because my friend was buying a new phone and asked me to tag along (I'm her 24/7 tech support). They all look pixelated (to be fair, my iPad also looks pixelated). Eventually she got an iPhone 4 when I pulled mine out and compared side by side with the EVO 4G, all 3 Droids and two Galaxy S phones.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008

Are you sure that increasing the PPI by a factor of two is the smallest increase that can be made? Only has to maintain the same aspect ratio doesn't it? Anyway, since the screen is supposedly, so awesome, we won't need a resolution bump until Apple comes up with the iBalls retina upgrade.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut

even though it had a higher ppi, it was only 800x480 so it wasnt completely second place, it was 2nd in ppi but not overall resolution

Ok fine, the highest DPI screen ever brought to market outside of Korea. :rolleyes:

To be more accurate, the iPhone 4 has the highest DPI for a screen as large as it is... all of those phones kdarling mentioned all had 2.8 inch, 800x480 pixel screens compared to the iPhone 4's 3.5 inch 960x640 screen (much nicer viewing experience compared to those other phones.)

Edit: Sorry, didn't see I was already beaten to the answer...

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Try going outside and staring at REAL-LIFEp. I think you will be amazed with its clarity and detail.

yeahhhhh, okay buddy. I lived in Scottsdale for 18 years. I have traveled to every major city, and many small towns in Arizona and it is very beautiful land. From the painted deserts to the snowy mountains, it's truly spectacular. Just because AZ doesn't have a huge bridge doesn't mean AZ isn't magnificent....quite the contrary in fact....

MacJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Arizona

Yeah I spend all day looking at my phone and never see any "REAL-LIFEp" :rolleyes:

Actually the opposite is true, I own a Jeep and go offroad and enjoy nature all the time. Arizona is a great place to live except for when it's hot the end of May through the beginning of September.

Next time keep your dumb-ass comments to yourself. One of the reasons I moved away from the Bay Area was because of egotistical *******s like you.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
yeahhhhh, okay buddy. I lived in Scottsdale for 18 years. I have traveled to every major city, and many small towns in Arizona and it is very beautiful land. From the painted deserts to the snowy mountains, it's truly spectacular. Just because AZ doesn't have a huge bridge doesn't mean AZ isn't magnificent....quite the contrary in fact....

PWNED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.