Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Titch13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Please help!

Everytime I try todo anything that involves backing up my iPhone 4, this message comes up: 'iTunes could not backup the iPhone "Titch's iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (-20)'

I have tried uninstalling iTunes and downloading it again, and I have refreshed my iPhone a bunch of times but still no luck! and I am a newbie to any sort of Apple product!

Thanks,

Scott

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Try moving your already saved backups to another location then rebooting the computer. Reboot the iPhone as well (this part shouldn't matter, but it can't hurt).

Titch13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
the main problem this error is causing, is when I am trying to update the iPhone software update, it is not working for this reason

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
And the solution, as explained above, is to remove the existing backup.

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

When you next try to update the firmware on your iPhone, iTunes will create a new backup. Or you can force it to create one (Devices -> right-click -> backup). Chances are the existing one is corrupt in some way.

Titch13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
You probably cant help me with this, but where do I find the existing backup.

Thanks

aaw0701

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
because an unkown error occured (-20)

I am having the same problem but I am using Windows 7. Can anyone help me to locate the backup folder using thios opertating system? Thanks

Enjoem

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I can't even find that on my computer! I'm haveing the same issue and I was going to fallow your advice, but I can't even locate my documents and settings folder. I'm using Vista as well.

If anyone cause help, I'd appreciate it!

~Enjo

quicke

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Did this

I did this and it shows I have no backups to delete! please help im on windows 7

chebrx7

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Montreal
Hi guys !

Sorry ,to bug you guys, in your thread,but a have a problem :error19 ,i have a 3gs and i change my name carrier whit ibackupbot and i went on youtube to do it,
And now i cannot backup and sync :mad::mad:
no more i need your help to put back the way i was .

And a lost everything in my phone because i did RESTORE on Itune, but now i try to have all the numbers ,in my girlfriend iphone how did i do that !!!
Thanks for everything!
ChebRx7

zerohep

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
still got the same prob

hi i still have the unknown error 20 for backing up my iphone ( running on windows vista )

i tried both deleting the actual folder for mobile applications and also deleting the contents of the folder but leaving the folder empty - can you spot what im not doing correctly if this has worked for others?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.