Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
bill28
macrumors newbie

printing problem with pdf created from Indesign file

I am having problems printing a pdf file. Pdf has been created from an Indesign file. Looks o.k. on screen but when printed shows the background of the photoshop images embedded in the Indesign file. Prints o.k. on a basic laser printer but when printed via a Fiery the problem occurs.
Have tried various different pdf settings but to no avail.
Anybody any thoughts?
bill28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:28 PM   #2
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a

Sorry if it's me being dim, but I'm not clear exactly what you mean by the "background of the photoshop images" showing through. Are you saying that the layers are not appearing correctly?
FourCandles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:53 PM   #3
smurfjammer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to smurfjammer
On Command Workstation on your Fiery RIP, you will need to turn on or off Composite Overprint to get the layers to print correctly if you have the problem I'm thinking about (a pic of the issue would help narrow down the problem).
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:39 AM   #4
bill28
macrumors newbie

Thanks composite overprint worked
bill28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:10 AM   #5
covisio
macrumors 6502

There will be either intended or non-intended transparency in the file. When you print on a basic printer that cannot interpret the transparency (i.e. non-PDF 1.4 and above compatible), it looks "fine", when you print on the Fiery, it can interpret the transparency, so you see the 'background'.

Essentially the problem (if it is a problem) is in the file. It may be obviously wrong in this example, but for any file you need to know what it should look like. A hard copy from the file provider would help, though often not available these days.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics