Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
Finally I´ve got my new mac, an iMac 27, and it´s my first mac. So far I´m very satisfied and impressed looking forward to start working with my videos. (pure amateur)

I´m used to Firefox both from Linux and Windows and wanted it to be my preferred browser in mac. But it´s not able to start any java-applets at all, such as for logging into my bank etc. As plugins I find:
Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.7.3 and Javaplugin for NPAPI browswers. At Java.com it says that Apple/MacOs have their own java, and I should use update. No updates available.

Safari is working ok with java-applets and maybe I ought to be satisfied with that. But it is annoying not to be able to use Firefox.

I thought there must be someone out there using Firefox and maybe could guide me.

And yes I have googled and MRoogled.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Can't remember the last Java applet I saw on a web site, and very shocked that a bank would use one. Are you sure you don't mean JavaScript? Are there any sites that you can point to where you are unable to get the Java applet working?

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
@ LPZ
Both Safari and Chrome show a normal javafunction when testing. When testing with Firefox nothing comes up.
If You look under Tools>Addons>plugins - which Javarelated plugins You have?

@ angelwatt
My bad, its a JavaScript. Used by banks and others to log in.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
@ LPZ
Both Safari and Chrome show a normal javafunction when testing. When testing with Firefox nothing comes up.
If You look under Tools>Addons>plugins - which Javarelated plugins You have?

I have Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.7.3 MRJ Plugin version 1.0-JEP-0.9.7.3 and Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI browsers 13.2.0.

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
Thanks for your reply!

I am getting real confused here, because it´s the same as I have in my Firefoxplugins.

In Macintosh hd>Librarys>Internetplugins In addition to these two, I find another "javathing" called JavaPluginCocoa.bundle. I don´t dare to do anything in there, afraid of damage my functioning Safari.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I am getting real confused here, because it´s the same as I have in my Firefoxplugins.

Since it's a JavaScript thing, the plugins aren't your problem, because JavaScript isn't done via a plugin. It's directly built into Firefox. So the Java update won't really do anything for you, though reinstalling Firefox could help.

I think a add-on may be causing the problem. See if starting Firefox in safe mode helps. If so, that means it's an add-on issue.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Since it's a JavaScript thing, the plugins aren't your problem, because JavaScript isn't done via a plugin.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Java is not working.

"Both Safari and Chrome show a normal javafunction when testing. When testing with Firefox nothing comes up."

If javascript is also not working, then maybe the OP has something like the NoScript extension installed.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Unless I'm misunderstanding, Java is not working.

If javascript is also not working, then maybe the OP has something like the NoScript extension installed.

From the thread,
angelwatt said:
Are you sure you don't mean JavaScript?
suxa said:
The safe mode startup I suggested will help determine if it is a add-on issue.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
The safe mode startup I suggested will help determine if it is a add-on issue.

Yes.

At this point I'm not sure what isn't working. The OP said that he went to the Java test site and Firefox failed while Safari and Chrome worked.

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
Yes.

At this point I'm not sure what isn't working. The OP said that he went to the Java test site and Firefox failed while Safari and Chrome worked.

That is correct understood. And Firefox has no addons installed.I have reinstalled but same problem.

I have looked over the settings in Utilities>Java settings and they are the defaults. Can 32 vs 64 bits influence? Or other choices here?

In my folder for internettplugins I find (javarelated):

MRJ Plugin.plugin 3.8 MB
JavaPluginCocoa.bundle 4Kb
JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin 4kB

Can any of these conflict with eacother I don´nt know. I sort of give up Firefox.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The only other suggestion I have is to delete your Firefox profile, which would have been unaffected by a reinstall of Firefox.

Delete these:
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[folder].default/
  • ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
That is correct understood. And Firefox has no addons installed.I have reinstalled but same problem.

I have looked over the settings in Utilities>Java settings and they are the defaults. Can 32 vs 64 bits influence? Or other choices here?

In my folder for internettplugins I find (javarelated):

MRJ Plugin.plugin 3.8 MB
JavaPluginCocoa.bundle 4Kb
JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin 4kB

Can any of these conflict with eacother I don´nt know. I sort of give up Firefox.

Try temporarily moving the MRJ Plugin out of that folder. (I don't have such a plugin in that location, and I wonder if it's very old.) Then restart Firefox and test Java.

The other two items are aliases to things you do need.

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
The only new thing is that Java works with Opera too - had to try!

Also tried a fresh install of both the 3.6.8 and beta4 Firefox and they both fail the Javatest. Must be a very local error. Just have to take a break.

I appreciate your help so far - thanks.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
The only new thing is that Java works with Opera too - had to try!

Also tried a fresh install of both the 3.6.8 and beta4 Firefox and they both fail the Javatest. Must be a very local error. Just have to take a break.

I appreciate your help so far - thanks.

Strange. Did you try removing that plugin? Suppose it wouldn't hurt to clear the Java cache. Utilities/Java Preferences --> Network --> Delete Files --> OK. Then restart Firefox and try again.

Hope someone else jumps in here. I'm running out of ideas :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Create a temporary new user account.
Run Firefox.
Visit website.
Does it show the same problems or not?

If not, the problem is in a settings file belonging to the original account.

If so, the problem is in the Firefox installation or one of its shared configuration files. Maybe.

EDIT:
Reading more carefully, I see the OP said:

JavaScript has nothing to do with any of the Java plugins. Nothing in Java Preferences or Java cache is likely to make any difference.

Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Run Firefox.
Visit website.
Does it show the same problems or not?

If not, the problem is in a settings file belonging to the original account.

If so, the problem is in the Firefox installation or one of its shared configuration files. Maybe.

EDIT:
Reading more carefully, I see the OP said:

"My bad, its a JavaScript. Used by banks and others to log in."

JavaScript has nothing to do with any of the Java plugins. Nothing in Java Preferences or Java cache is likely to make any difference.

Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster.

Reading even more carefully I think you'll find he is having a Java problem, not a Javascript problem. Or, at least that's what I concluded. There was some confusion along the way ... :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Reading even more carefully I think you'll find he is having a Java problem, not a Javascript problem. Or, at least that's what I concluded. There was some confusion along the way ... :)

I read those first, and only missed the one "My bad, its a JavaScript." post. I still think it's inconclusive enough that it could be a JavaScript problem.

Or maybe it's this:
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml

I don't recall what Java version Snow Leopard ships with, just that it's a Java 6 version.

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
Run Firefox.
Visit website.
Does it show the same problems or not?.

It works!!:) wow!
I tried at least 3 times and it worked every time.

To be honest I´m not sure about java-javaapplet-javascript, but here it is commonly used by socalled Bank-ID to log into your bankaccount.

What is wrong about the original account (as adm!) on my machine I wonder. Anyway you guys made my day!

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
It works!!:) wow!
I tried at least 3 times and it worked every time.

To be honest I´m not sure about java-javaapplet-javascript, but here it is commonly used by socalled Bank-ID to log into your bankaccount.

What is wrong about the original account (as adm!) on my machine I wonder. Anyway you guys made my day!

Thanks to chown33! Did you try deleting the preference files on the original account, as suggested earlier by angelwatt:

Delete these:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[folder].default/
~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist

(By the way, a bit of reading suggests that the Norwegian BankID uses a Java applet.)

suxa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Norway
Yes I think I ´ve tried everything you´ve come up with.
After that I experienced a funny thing. Java worked the first time I used it (Firefox), but after shutdown and a new start it did not work.
The last ten years I´ve used Linux, (Slackware most of the time) and I´m used to things not always working the first time. But I still really do not understand what happened here.

Anybody knows what I ought to do to correct?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Java worked the first time I used it (Firefox), but after shutdown and a new start it did not work.

Anybody knows what I ought to do to correct?

Oh no! So now the new account behavior is the same as your old admin account?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Found some directions for clearing the Java cache, which is different than the browser cache.

Open: /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences
Network tab, Delete files button

You can also click the View Cache Files button and see if you're bank is listed. You can also take look see over the Advanced tab, but I'm not sure what you may want to check on.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
After Java has failed in Firefox, open Console.app, located in /Applications/Utilities. See if there are any messages from Firefox or Java (or Java Helper or some such) in the main console messages window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.