Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
So, I have a question. I would like to install windows XP on my MacBook, but I don't have the actual windows XP disc. I do, however, have the system recovery disc that came with my old computer (running windows XP). Can I use that as the install disc? Or will it just screw with the windows side of my machine? Thanks in advance :)

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
You can't use oem install cd's on macs. They are the pc world equivalent of the mac os x install disks that came with your mac. They only work in the original machine they came (and sometimes not even).

And you can't upgrade from XP to 7. I believe that you can update from XP to vista and then to 7. But it's not a very good ideia to upgrade windows installations. Usually something get's really messed up:p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
You can't use oem install cd's on macs. They are the pc world equivalent of the mac os x install disks that came with your mac. They only work in the original machine they came (and sometimes not even).

And you can't upgrade from XP to 7. I believe that you can update from XP to vista and then to 7. But it's not a very good ideia to upgrade windows installations. Usually something get's really messed up:p

Damn haha. That's actually kinda what I figured would happen, but it never hurts to ask, right? O well, I might still get a discounted price for the full windows 7 install disc at university if it turns out that I really do need it. Thanks for all your help guys :)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The restore disks for PCs often include a ton of bloatware as well as Windows. they also often include drivers for the specific hardware. Dell was famous for installing SO many junky applications on their restore disks. Plus there is a license issue - the OEM license does not transfer to a new machine.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
The restore disks for PCs often include a ton of bloatware as well as Windows. they also often include drivers for the specific hardware. Dell was famous for installing SO many junky applications on their restore disks. Plus there is a license issue - the OEM license does not transfer to a new machine.

I know the recovery discs come with a whole bunch of bloatware I've had to use them before haha. You perfectly answered my other question though :) I was wondering whether or not the OEM would transfer or not. Thanks :)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Use the uni disks, I don't know why do you need to buy them. We in our uni just download the iso burn it and install it:D (all for free:cool:)

Very nice :) I think it's the same way at mine, but I can't remember for sure. I'll find out in just a few days when I get there though haha :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.