Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
I was just trying to open the words with friends game. I looked over at my laptop then back over to my phone. The screen flashed black then when it came back almost all my apps were gone. Stock apps, bitesms, mywi and a couple of others were still there but 90% of my apps were gone. I plugged it into itunes and my the storage bar showed "other" at 4.75 gigs!!! I'm syncing right now thinking maybe that will work or it will just sort itself out but I only have half a gig left so it's going to run out. Anyone know how to fix this? I really don't want to restore.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Calm down, your apps are still there. Have you tried a respring? Reboot?

I bet once you do that they are back.

let me know.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah did a respring and turned the phone off. Nothing so I'm resyncing right now. Had to remove all my pictures to have enough room for all my apps. What would make the apps just disappear? And more importantly how do I get rid of that 4.75 gig worth of "other".

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Haven't encountered this error before, usually a respring fixes it. Did you save blobs? If so you might have to restore, downgrade to 4.0.1, then reinstall everything.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
yeah I have my blobs saved. I really don't want to have to restore. It's such a pain in the butt. Besides the stock apps the only apps that were left when they all disappeared were jailbreak apps. I don't know it's weird.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
Exact same thing happened to me today when I was installing BITE, no idea what caused it. Just got finished reinstalling most of my apps. Fml

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
Were you able to get your storage back from being labeled "other"?

It happened right before I left for work so I haven't been able to chk that... Wonder why it's doing this??? Keep me posted on how it goes, I'm in the same pickle.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I also had this problem. But it was with facebook. AFter facebook crashed. I lost all my apps except the stocked ones and the JB apps.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Is there any way to get the storage back without restoring? And if I restore from a backup won't I get app settings back while preserving my jailbreak?

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
After much trepidation I restored my phone from a backup. I kept my jailbreak cydia everything was there. It even put my app store settings that I had lost back. So that's a good thing to know for the future, but my other storage accually went up!! Now it's 4.85 gigs. Anyone have any idea how to get my storage back?

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
After much trepidation I restored my phone from a backup. I kept my jailbreak cydia everything was there. It even put my app store settings that I had lost back. So that's a good thing to know for the future, but my other storage accually went up!! Now it's 4.85 gigs. Anyone have any idea how to get my storage back?

haha well I guess it doesnt pay for me to try to restore... I'm just going to let it ride like this for now.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
A full restore would fix it I'm sure. I just don't want to have to go through all that. I would really like like to get that space back. My 32gig was full all the time. I had to take off pictures and few tv shows just to get my apps back on. Hopefully someone has some other idea how to fix it. Maybe the space is in a blank folder we could see with ssh? I don't know.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
A full restore would fix it I'm sure. I just don't want to have to go through all that. I would really like like to get that space back. My 32gig was full all the time. I had to take off pictures and few tv shows just to get my apps back on. Hopefully someone has some other idea how to fix it. Maybe the space is in a blank folder we could see with ssh? I don't know.

Wouldnt a full restore put 4.0.2 on your phone??

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah that's why I didn't do it. I clicked make my life easier in cydia so I can get it back to 4.0.1 but it just seems like a lot of hassle. There has to be an easier way to get this storage back. How much storage do you have tied up in "other"?

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Other storage is growing. After updating a couple of appstore apps and downloading a wallpaper app from rock it's now up to 5.06 gigs. I deleted the wallpaper app re-synced and it went down to 5.05 gigs. Could it be related to rock?

FireSokar

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Other storage is growing. After updating a couple of appstore apps and downloading a wallpaper app from rock it's now up to 5.06 gigs. I deleted the wallpaper app re-synced and it went down to 5.05 gigs. Could it be related to rock?

Perhaps you guys didn't check your storage and are just now noticing. Installous and Appcake is labeled as OTHER because of where they store the IPA's check the root/ folder using either sftp/ssh or iFile. If this does not help locate both appcake and installous directorys.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
I don't use cracked apps. And this all happened last night when all my apps disappeared. I have a theory though. I'm using wi-fi sync and it only works every other time. Maybe Itunes is confused by wi-fi sync and is making copies of apps or something. I've been using ssh to try and find a big folder or something but i really don't know where to look. I'm also afraid to delete anything until i know for sure what it is.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
I don't use cracked apps. And this all happened last night when all my apps disappeared. I have a theory though. I'm using wi-fi sync and it only works every other time. Maybe Itunes is confused by wi-fi sync and is making copies of apps or something. I've been using ssh to try and find a big folder or something but i really don't know where to look. I'm also afraid to delete anything until i know for sure what it is.

I just had around 20 of my lost apps pop up on my springboard... They had the app title but plain white label... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.