Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
That doesnt seem to come with a receiver that goes into a camera (im using a sony nx5e - like z1/5 etc.)

think item on below link would be a solution - can use my rode ntg1 as a wireless mic, with wireless plug, and also have use of a lapel mic (handy for fitness dvd shoots which ive done recently)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...&s=musical-instruments&qid=1282471610&sr=8-14

For fitness dvd shoot, what mic would be most suitable? was thinking the ones used in theatre prods. that stick on the chin.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
That doesnt seem to come with a receiver that goes into a camera

Of course it does ... just like you discovered in the link you posted. You just have to choose the system that includes the camera-mountable receiver.

think item on below link would be a solution - can use my rode ntg1 as a wireless mic, with wireless plug, and also have use of a lapel mic (handy for fitness dvd shoots which ive done recently)

The plug-on transmitter will make almost any handheld or shotgun mic a wireless. It also works great for sending a feed from a sound board wirelessly a very simple matter.

For fitness dvd shoot, what mic would be most suitable? was thinking the ones used in theatre prods. that stick on the chin.

Example: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_headsets_headsets

Just make sure it is properly terminated to use with the bodypack transmitter.

-DH

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I wouldnt say it looks compressed -

ive only shot some fitness dvds which have all been exported as SD.

Im using the nx5e to shoot a fly on wall doc in ibiza. I currently use a Sony PD150 for my own use - mainly in clubs etc (getting the kit together for the 7d)

One big thing, CMOS sensors - there cheaper than global sensors - basically fast pans, you get a horrible jelly / wobbily skew which if not too much can be fixed in after fx.

For fast pans may be an issue.

Despite only getting the 7d, and its amazing image quality, im still not used to it as video cam - the sony one is a big interest for me, especially for nightclub videos / weddings.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Hard to tell exactly which brand/model the mic is, especially with that red windscreen on it. But the wireless transmitter plugged onto the bottom of the mic looks like a Sennheiser Evolution G3 series.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_plug-on-transmitter_503130

-DH

Would that work with the zoom h4n? the zoom has xlr inputs but have heard they dont work properly or something?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-H4n-Bo...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282646450&sr=8-2

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Would that work with the zoom h4n? the zoom has xlr inputs but have heard they dont work properly or something?

I couldn't say if the XLR inputs on the Zoom H4N work or not - check with other users and/or the manufacturer. But since it's a recording device and does have XLR inputs, the receiver of the wireless system should connect to the Zoom just as any other mic would. You'd just need to make sure that the output level of the receiver doesn't overload the input.

Like most wireless systems, the Sennheiser system can be attenuated two ways; the plug-on transmitter can be attenuated to -50db (in 10db increments) so it can be used for both mic and line level inputs. The bodypack transmitter can be attenuated to -30db (in 10 db increments). And the receiver's output can be adjusted from +12db to -12 db (in single db increments).

Keep in mind that even though the system (as linked to) has two transmitters, only one can be used at any given time.

-DH

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I wouldnt say it looks compressed -
One big thing, CMOS sensors - there cheaper than global sensors - basically fast pans, you get a horrible jelly / wobbily skew which if not too much can be fixed in after fx.

For fast pans may be an issue.

Despite only getting the 7d, and its amazing image quality, im still not used to it as video cam - the sony one is a big interest for me, especially for nightclub videos / weddings.

CMOS does have its issues, but done right and they look amazing (Red, Sony EX series). They just have poor implementation in the DSLRs. Granted, those cameras were never really intended for heavy video work.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Of course it does ... just like you discovered in the link you posted. You just have to choose the system that includes the camera-mountable receiver.

-DH

on the box contents there is no mention of a receiver?

"Delivery Includes
1 SKP 100 G3 plug-on transmitter
2 batteries
Operating instructions"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.