Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
put your face closer to the iPhone and look at the screen

always works for me

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
My iPhone 4 won't be here for another two weeks and I'm buying apps in advance.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
If the app is updated, usually the developer will make a note of it in the description somewhere.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't have a clue and would never notice
And I have an iPhone 4

I honestly have no clue how you can't tell a difference. There is a 4X difference in the number of pixels. Saying that you can tell is like saying the iPhone 4's display looks identical to the iPhone 3GS's display. Unoptimized games look pixelated and jagged, while optimized games looks crisp and sharp.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I honestly have no clue how you can't tell a difference. There is a 4X difference in the number of pixels. Saying that you can tell is like saying the iPhone 4's display looks identical to the iPhone 3GS's display. Unoptimized games look pixelated and jagged, while optimized games looks crisp and sharp.

I guess the fact that I have zero games on my iPhone might contribute to my being unable to tell the difference

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

Not to forget the icons are super blurry. All images within the app will also be super blurry.

& OP, as far as finding out without having an iPhone 4 - just read the description. It will prob say something like "now optimized for iPhone 4" it'll def be in the description

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My "help" as you call it, was to say that I don't notice a difference
and your title and post said nothing about gaming

And my experience is that I have an iPhone 4

Why the hate?

I'm simply stating that the OP asked for help about the difference between a Retina app and a normal app. By graphics, I meant any pictures inside the app, aka graphics. There is a definite difference between a non-Retina app and a Retina app. Everyone seems to agree on this. If you can't see a difference, I think that you are slightly lacking in experience with apps.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm simply stating that the OP asked for help about the difference between a Retina app and a normal app. By graphics, I meant any pictures inside the app, aka graphics. There is a definite difference between a non-Retina app and a Retina app. Everyone seems to agree on this. If you can't see a difference, I think that you are slightly lacking in experience with apps.

Lacking in experience with apps? Um... ok
Or maybe I just use the apps and phone and don't worry about such things and hence don't tend to notice

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I can tell, one example is ever since they updated Doodle-Jump to "retina" graphics recently it looks so much crisper. I know it's a very simple game but the difference is certainly there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.