Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Hey Mac Rumors dudes,

Just a couple minutes ago i found out something about iTunes 4 and iPods that I never knew before, and wanted to share it with you guys.

Have you ever wanted to make your iPod only play songs with a check in the checkbox to the left of the name? For example, you go out and buy an iTrip, install the songs that change the station, but don't want to hear those songs unless you really do wanna change the channel.

Here's how you do it:

1. First make sure that your iPod's Library is selected. Simply click on your iPod's name in iTunes.

attachment.php

2. Next, make sure that your iPod is set to manually manage songs and playists. You can change this setting by plugging your iPod in to your computer, right clicking on it in iTunes (control clicking also works), and selecting "iPod Options...," then select the radial button "Manually manage songs and playlists." Press OK to close out of here. If you get a warning message, you can just ignore it and hit OK.

attachment.php

3. Sort your library by date added. if you don't see a "Date Added" column in iTunes, right click on any column title ("My Rating" for example) and click on "Date Added." Now, you should see a Date Added column with an upside down triangle to the right of it. Scroll to the bottom of your library and look at the very last song. Remember the date of the last song listed in "Date Added."

attachment.php

4. Now, click the menu labled "File" and select "New Smart Playlist." click on the drop-down list currently labled "Artist," and change it to "Date Added." Next click on "is," and change it to "is after." Now in the next text entry field, enter any date earlier than the one you found in step 3. Here comes the key to this whole thing; Check the box labled "Match only checked songs." Now make sure that the "Limit to.." box is unchecked, and that the "Live updating" box is checked, and hit OK.

attachment.php

5. Next rename your newly created smart playlist to anything you want. I labled mine "1Real Library" so that it would appear at the top of my playlists.

6. Lastly, just remember to always use this smart playlist instead of your library, and only checked songs will be played.

Voilah, now you dont ever have to listen to another "BEEP BEEP BEEPEDY-DOO-DA-BEEP . . . BEEP BEEP" again!

Cheers,
~~outerspaceapple~~

Attachments

• step1.jpeg
    step1.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 3,512
  • step2.jpeg
    step2.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,791
  • step3.jpeg
    step3.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,801
  • step4.jpeg
    step4.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,796

rayzor

macrumors member
May 8, 2002
Australia
Why not just add an extra variable?

I just add the variable don't play iTrip palylist (see attachment)

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 221

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
is the a 4G thing?? I just unchecked all the radio stations and actually deleted the ones i don't use from the library. But anyways, on my 3G the unchecked songs don't sync to the iPod.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
jmsait19 said:
is the a 4G thing?? I just unchecked all the radio stations and actually deleted the ones i don't use from the library. But anyways, on my 3G the unchecked songs don't sync to the iPod.

It could be that you have your iPod set to only update checked songs (as mine is).

krohde

macrumors member
May 29, 2002
Europe, UK
instead of all this date added stuff to get rid of the griffin "songs" why dont you just make your criteria "Artist does not contain griffin" and that would get you the same playlist no?

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
well yeah, you could do that to get rid of just the griffin stuff, but what about all those other songs that may be unchecked. The whole reason I did the date added thing, was to make a criteria where the entire library matches it, and then filter out non-checked songs.

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
I have to admit having used iTrip for about a year, I haven't heard an iTrip "song", thinking about it I generally use playlists or play "albums" anyway. Though I travel in 2 major markets, NYC, Phily and space between, I change stations rather frequently.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Obviously there are many ways to do this.

"Date Added" has nothing to do with it... as the original poster mentioned in a followup... you just need to give iTunes some condition that hits ALL songs so that you can use the "Match only checked songs" to restrict the playlist (because for some reason you can't use that option by itself to create a playlist).

So I think the easiest thing is just check "Limit to XXX songs". Add a couple zeros to the default value of 25 to make it 250000. Uncheck the default "Artist" condition. And there you go. (unless you have more than 250000 songs!!!!)

Okay yeah... I'm not sure why I took the time to post this either.

SasyBabe

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
New Jersey
This might be off topic but since your talking about playlists... I was wondering if creating a playlist takes up a lot of memory in your ipod? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.