Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouch4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
hey I am most likely going to buy the new touch when it comes out but i was going to sell my current one to get more money. however underneath the front glass there is acrack running side to side. you cant touch the crack coz its underneath but it has disabled the bottom half of the screen, where slide to unlock is. Please help

Attachments

• iBroken.JPG
    iBroken.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 155

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Uhhmmmm... Better pics, please? Oh, and you say the actual glass isnt broken?

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
If the bottom half of the LCD is dead then your LCD panel is cracked they are pretty fragile, could have happened if pressure was put on the front glass like having it in the back pocket of your jeans when sitting down.

You can get it replaced but it would most likely cost more than it is worth, or you can try and replace it your self there are plenty of cheap replacement parts on ebay.

You would also need to replace the bezel\midframe as that will get stretched and broken when you remove the front digitizer.

ipodtouch4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
You can get it replaced but it would most likely cost more than it is worth

So should I bother? Or just wait until the new one comes out next month.
Also, will the guys at an Apple store fix it if it is jailbroken?

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I doubt the Apple store would fix it instore they would most likely just offer you a refurb. Have a google around there are places like THIS that can do it for $79 which seems quite reasonable.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
So should I bother? Or just wait until the new one comes out next month.
Also, will the guys at an Apple store fix it if it is jailbroken?

No they will not. Restore it and set up as a NEW iPod (do not restore from backup). Put some songs + apps on it... obviously don't re-jailbreak and take it to the Apple Store. If you're still under warranty they should replace it especially if there are no signs of physical damage.. if you're not on warranty you might be SOL but it's worth a shot.. Apple "Geniuses" are quite lenient on out-of-warranty repairs. They will check for water damage so make sure nothing's out of order (read this for more info). Good luck and let us know what happens! :)

PS: If your "Genius" won't let the replacement happen try asking other Geniuses or even another Apple Store to try your luck. IMHO it's not worth it to pay for repair (repair cost will likely cost as much as or more the actual resale value) especially if you plan to buy the new one when it comes out in September.. sell it for parts if you can. :p

ipodtouch4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Don't think it is still under warranty, and if it is I have lost the receipts. It is a second generation 16GB so i am going to upgrade to a 64GB or 128GB if it comes out next month.sa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.