Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Will we ever see a version of Safari that can run an animated .gif without crashing? It's really something I've just waited for them to fix, but i'm loosing hope. :(

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Is this for real? (and it's not some sort of dig-- I haven't ever used safari seriously, but have been thinking of doing so more lately)

That's kinda unbelievable isn't it?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I see plenty of animated avatars in these very forums and Safari never crashes because of them for me. Nice sensationalist OP though. ;)

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Is this for real? (and it's not some sort of dig-- I haven't ever used safari seriously, but have been thinking of doing so more lately)

That's kinda unbelievable isn't it?

For LQ animated .gifs Safari stutters, but if it's anything Med-HQ, it freezes up and sometimes ultimately crashes. I've updated every single time there's an update and still, it hasn't been fixed. I don't think it's just my computer either. :(

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Will we ever see a version of Safari that can run an animated .gif without crashing? It's really something I've just waited for them to fix, but i'm loosing hope. :(

Just tested a bunch of animated gifs using Safari 5.0.1 on OS X 10.6.4. All displayed correctly and Safari didn't crash. Post a link to something that crashes your Safari. What version of Safari are you using?

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Just tested a bunch of animated gifs using Safari 5.0.1 on OS X 10.6.4. All displayed correctly and Safari didn't crash. Post a link to something that crashes your Safari. What version of Safari are you using?

The .gif that just caused Safari to crash for me is this one

Lady_Gaga_Gif_by_NINO16.gif

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The .gif that just caused Safari to crash for me is this one

The gif file is 12.4MB. If you're low on system resources, it could take a while to load, but it didn't crash Safari for me. Personally, I just SafariBlocked the gif... it's certainly not worth watching.

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
The gif file is 12.4MB. If you're low on system resources, it could take a while to load, but it didn't crash Safari for me. Personally, I just SafariBlocked the gif... it's certainly not worth watching.

:D I agree. I just posted it because it was the one that's made my Safari crash the first time....and then twice more since I've posted it. I went to my options in the Macrumors CP and unchecked "Display images" just so I could keep tabs on this thread. :rolleyes:

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
This is the second time I've heard this mentioned just now browsing the forum (again, news to me)

It seems to be an issue. Check this thread too and try the page linked if anyone wants to test their safari: http://arstechnica.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51564

I've been wanting to try Safari because Firefox had been crashing for me like 4 or 5 times a day (I think mostly in flash heavy browsing).

But after upgrading from Tiger to SL I haven't encountered the problem yet (knock on wood) so I might well just stay on FF again

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
This is the second time I've heard this mentioned just now browsing the forum (again, news to me)

It seems to be an issue. Check this thread too and try the page linked if anyone wants to test their safari: http://arstechnica.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51564

I've been wanting to try Safari because Firefox had been crashing for me like 4 or 5 times a day (I think mostly in flash heavy browsing).

But after upgrading from Tiger to SL I haven't encountered the problem yet (knock on wood) so I might well just stay on FF again

Hmm. So the fix is Snow Leopard? Well I'll have to upgrade at some point. I just REALLY don't want to lose the Leopard Exposé. It's so :apple: and soo good. Really don't like how they stuffed it up in Snow Leopard. :(

I like Safari A LOT....just not for animated .gif images.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It seems to be an issue. Check this thread too and try the page linked if anyone wants to test their safari:
It loads slower, due to the size of the files, but it doesn't crash Safari. I find that such gif-laden sites are never worth the hassles. Too often they're poorly-designed gifs, apparently made by extremely juvenile types.

I'm on Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.