Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
i just notice when i'm at home, i only use wifi, so i disable 3G but the edge symbol is still appear, i don't need it and i just found out the setting to turn it off totally.

i didn't realize that the setting is there. is it iOS4 only?

my iPhone 4 has a better battery life than before, i can touch 7-7.30 hours of quite heavy usage including playing 3D games like gangstar and assasin creed.

it can reach to 8.5-9hours without playing 3d games but heavy use on youtube, browsing and listening to music.

my setting is brightness 60% with auto brightness turned on, 3G off, cellular data off, wifi on, location service on, notification on, mail set to fetch hourly.

af36abc2.jpg

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
With cellular data off you do know you cant receive MMS right?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Well, it is pretty well-known that 3G networks use more power than their 2G brethren.

Nothing new here.

Edge is a 2G technology, so you are getting edge data at least (if you hadn't turned off Cellular data).

nman040

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
I have noticed the same thing. I knew that it would save batt life but I wasn't expecting 6 hours of usage and still 50% left. I notice when I'm in an area that has bad reception, batt life decreases significantly. Should it make a difference? Guess it needs more power to transmit cellular data with low reception??

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
You will find that even with 3G and data turned on, battery life will still be pretty good at home because you are using wifi which uses less power anyway.

I did what you are doing but it got to be a pain after a while and now I just leave everthing turned on. It's much easier to throw the phone onto a charger rather than having to remember to turn things on and off.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
This isn't new. Also if your IPhone has to search for a signal constantly that uses a lot of battery.

jjprusk

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
And my car doesn't use much fuel when I turn off the engine... What's the point of owning a smartphone without data?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
who the hell use mms these days??

about sms, it's working just fine.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
And my car doesn't use much fuel when I turn off the engine... What's the point of owning a smartphone without data?

i said when i was at home where i don't need data from cellular because i use wifi, which is faster.

i turned it back on when i'm in area that has no wifi.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Yep, and when I turn everything off including my iPhone 4 I can last for days on a single charge, however I can not:

Make a call
use it for an ipod
send MMS or SMS
can't take pictures or video

Basically I am restriceted to doing nothing at all

No thanks, I will carry a charger around and use my iPhone 4 as Steve told me I should just use it and have fun

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
who the hell use mms these days??

about sms, it's working just fine.

My mom uses mms because she has a flip phone. Not everyone emails pics from one phone to another phone, it's easier using mms. Quick and efficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.