Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 9, 2015, 06:39 AM   #1
lsquare
macrumors 6502

Will I still be able to get iPhoto once Photos is released on OSX?

From what I read, Apple is going to release the new Photos app as part of a future OSX upgrade rather than making it available as a separate app. Will this mean the removal of iPhoto from OSX? If so, will it be possible to download iPhoto from the App Store?
lsquare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2015, 06:44 AM   #2
maflynn

If you back up iPhoto, or don't do a clean install, you'll have the app still available.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:35 AM   #3
roadkill401
macrumors member

I have a different take. iPhoto appears inside your purchases attached to your apple id. I don't think that apple will be taking away your purchases when a new product that has since come along has replaced it.

I have 2 mac's. My iMac is running in Yosemite and the mini seems not to like that version of OSx so I have left it back in Maverick. my Apple id is used for the appstore on both machines, and the version of iPhoto that works wit Yosemite doesn't work in Mavericks, but apple does know that and will only let me load the correct version to each mac.

Now if they took away iPhoto and replaced it with Photos, they would need to develop a version for every mac OSx version that could run iPhoto. That would not be worth their time. So iPhoto will just sit as it's own app on the appstore and if you have purchased it you can still re-download that from the app store. But any new customer who has never had iPhoto wont see it as apple doesn't sell it or really support future development of it any more.
roadkill401 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Partron22
macrumors 6502a

Good policy is to always make a BU of obsoleted software that you might want five years down the road off on some dusty 400MB hard drive you haven't had any use for since 2002.
Partron22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

My guess is that the iPhoto application will continue to run with subsequent versions of the OS for a while. There are numerous older applications that still work under Yosemite, even though developer support for them ended some time back.

At some point, however, it may simply stop working.

There's no way at this point in time to make a "hard prediction" as to when that will actually be...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Frosties
macrumors 6502a

My take is that iphoto will work without icloud for a long time but the icloud support will end 2-3 years in the future.
Frosties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2015, 01:39 PM   #7
robgendreau
macrumors 68020

There are some tricks to these methods.

You need to check around, but I think if you start using Photos it will convert a COPY of your iPhoto library. But if not make sure you keep a copy of the original iPhoto library because once converted odds are iPhoto won't be able to use it.

There might also be some issues if you used iCloud to synch photos; for Photos you need to switch to iCloud Photo Library. Check on that as well.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:53 AM   #8
lsquare
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
I have a different take. iPhoto appears inside your purchases attached to your apple id. I don't think that apple will be taking away your purchases when a new product that has since come along has replaced it.

I have 2 mac's. My iMac is running in Yosemite and the mini seems not to like that version of OSx so I have left it back in Maverick. my Apple id is used for the appstore on both machines, and the version of iPhoto that works wit Yosemite doesn't work in Mavericks, but apple does know that and will only let me load the correct version to each mac.

Now if they took away iPhoto and replaced it with Photos, they would need to develop a version for every mac OSx version that could run iPhoto. That would not be worth their time. So iPhoto will just sit as it's own app on the appstore and if you have purchased it you can still re-download that from the app store. But any new customer who has never had iPhoto wont see it as apple doesn't sell it or really support future development of it any more.
IIRC, iPhoto is only free for recent buyers of Macs right? I don't have a Mac right now and I'm wondering how I can get my current Apple ID associated with the latest version of iPhoto so that I can at least download it from the Mac Store once Photos is released. IIRC, Aperture will no longer be available from the Mac Store once Photos is released, but I am assuming that owners will still be able to download it provided that they bought the license before Photos is released.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:41 AM   #9
lsquare
macrumors 6502

bump!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store