‘Downright scary’ Open Carry Texas gun lovers: They ‘crossed the line’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 2, 2014.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, even the NRA thinks these guys are idiots.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/...carry-texas-gun-lovers-they-crossed-the-line/

2. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can't see a reason to carry a rifle into a restaurant or store. They certainly aren't doing any good for the cause by frightening non-gun owners by doing it.

3. macrumors 68040

bradl

First time I've ever agreed with the NRA.

But in all honesty, if someone is walking around with an AR or AK slung around their back to 'defend themselves', that really smacks of how much fear they live their lives in.

Handgun, understandable. Shotgun in a car or similar, understandable. This… someone has a major problem, which is the catalyst for gun restriction laws to get proposed and passed in State senates.

Yep, you heard me: it could be that gun owners are shooting themselves in the foot (pun intended) for having gun laws passed in their state.

Agreed 100%.

BL.

4. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't know the fine points of the Texas law in question. Are business owners required to serve people carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles? I mean, that is a Soviet Russian weapon, you know?

5. macrumors regular

jkcerda

what good are rights if you don't exercise them? shall free speech have a decibel level? :confused: plenty of people carry in AZ w/o a single problem.

we had open carry in CA, we lost it because there were a few over zealous clowns looking for a fight:mad:

to clear things up, I see no reason for open carry, makes you more of a target if anything, BUT if the laws of your state make it ok, then why the big hoopla?

6. macrumors 6502a

Micky Do

People who feel the need to routinely carry guns are the ones who are frightened. Folks who don't, just think ya'll paranoid.

7. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure it is one of two reasons, to scare other people (the most likely), or they are extremely paranoid and need mental help.

8. macrumors 68040

Exactly ..... and if enough people in that state are uncomfortable with it, that's what voting is for.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

On the other hand, freedom of speech doesn't mean you have to go around shouting everything you say.

Do you talk incessantly?

What good is your right if you don't exercise it?

----------

I thought the mere possibility of a gun was supposed to be enough to deter criminals.

Now it attracts them?

10. macrumors regular

jkcerda

I did not pay much attention as to HOW we lost it, not sure it was voted on, Jerry decided he had enough of police dealing with these clowns & made it so that open carry was no more for handguns, it was OK to still carry long guns open carry until activist morons got that closed as well.

----------

1.good points.

2. simply my opinion on OPEN carry in the streets, here in CA the gun & ammo had to be separate, you could not have a loaded magazine in the gun, that to ME is more of a liability.

11. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Makes sense to me, if I was a criminal wanting a gun I'd much rather target a gun owner who was flashing his gun to compensate for something to get a gun than go through the hoops and waiting period to buy one.

12. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense in some ways ... it just goes against the meme of protection.

Now a gun makes you a target?

Only one thing to do ... get more guns.

13. macrumors regular

jkcerda

details, open carry on the street the gun is UNLOADED, at home the guns are LOADED. and are you seriously arguing about a meme?

14. macrumors 6502a

Micky Do

Dunno what's with this flurry of gun evangelising threads. One gets floes down and a couple more start up…… seems gun lobbyists do talk to preach to the converted incessantly.

Makes sense to the average Joe like myself who occasionally uses a firearm for hunting. Carrying it unloaded, with the magazine and ammunition carried separately until you expect to use it, is basic firearms safety.

Making a practice of carrying a firearm with a loaded magazine installed is the action of a paranoid gun nutter.

15. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Yes.

You could say arguing about memes is a big part of what we do here in PRSI.

----------

TBH, the opposition (including me) does as well.

16. macrumors regular

jkcerda

1. yeah, the OP is a gun evangelist, seems you are simply looking for reasons to be victimized :rolleyes:

2.so cops are paranoid gun nutters? :confused:

----------

you are such a gun evangelist :p

17. macrumors 68000

VulchR

Carrying a loaded SA gun in public does sound like a celebration of freedom to me - it sounds look pure asshattery. Just sayin' – as a person who knows somebody who died after their gun went off accidentally.

18. macrumors 65816

vrDrew

I don't really see much difference between these people in Texas, and the horde of assault-rifle carrying people who showed up "in support of" Cliven Bundy.

You don't carry a semi-automatic rifle in a public place unless you want to intimidate and frighten people.

And frankly, that seems to be what most Gun Enthusiasts want to do these days. As I've said in the past, if people kept them at their homes, on the range, or out in the woods hunting - I've got no problem with most civilian firearms.

But when people start (literally or figuratively) waving them in my face - I've had enough.

19. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I have actually seen one person doing this in Texas. It was near Reliant stadium, guy was walking down the sidewalk with a black rifle slung over his back.

They aren't required to. A couple of months ago a group of people decided they were going to open carry into a Starbucks in Houston. They were all kicked out and told to leave their guns at home. It was a rather huge ruckus. I cannot find a news article for that one.

Also in San Antonio last year, members of the same group demonstrated outside of a a Starbucks with weapons and were charged with causing disorderly conduct.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Open-Carr...ion-leads-to-criminal-charges--221719121.html

Starbucks used to allow open carry in their stores. They recently backtracked on that policy and will ask you to leave the stores. I believe any store owner can refuse to serve for this.

20. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Any store owner can refuse to serve but many are not. I have a Starbucks right up the street from one of my offices that I frequent. I've never had an issue with my openly carried semi-automatic pistol in a side holster. There is no signage in our Starbucks reflecting this policy. I think Starbucks chooses not to make waves in certain areas.

21. macrumors 601

Moyank24

Last week, there was a group marching down the 45 Feeder road during rush hour in The Woodlands/Spring with signs and rifles slung over their backs. You see the most interesting things here... :D

22. macrumors 65816

vrDrew

So you really walk into a Starbucks, order a double-shot Latté, and drink it on one of their comfy couches, listening to the The Postal Service and Jenny O. on the soundtrack - with a semiautomatic pistol strapped to your waist?

If I may be so bold: Why would you do that? Are there numerous unprovoked assaults on middle-age white men near this coffee shop? Do you routinely carry large amounts of cash to warrant this?

What do the employees at the offices you frequent say about a guy walking in with a gun strapped on? I've never worked anywhere where guns are tolerated in the workplace, so I'm having a hard time understanding the dynamic here.

23. macrumors regular

jkcerda

go to AZ, I was shocked the first time I saw that, thought they were cops, I later learned they could do that over there , no big deal.

24. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Last year there were some Westoboro Baptist types protesting homosexuality somewhere on Montrose. (The anti gay protests always seem to be centered there as well as some of these Texas Open Carry folks for some reason.)

Cousin of mine immediately ran out in his Tinky Winky costume and started dancing in front of them. I believe it may have hit the news. I know for a fact it made its rounds on a lot of the Houston based facebook pages. A fair amount of people thought it was funny. The WB folks however, didn't take too kindly to his presence. :p

25. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Interesting that it would be the middle-age white guys who's a fan of open carry. I'd bet if it was a black man or a Hispanic carrying a handgun in the open, everybody in the coffee shop would be dialing 9-1-1.:rolleyes: