Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aayush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Siliguri, W.B., India
Hello.

I’m trying to get the ‘Add’ button on my navigation bar in the RootViewController of my navigation-based iPhone application to bring up a modal view controller. All I’ve done so far in the program is what I’ve listed below.

I created a navigation-based app, uncommented the ‘viewDidLoad:’ method and added the following lines to it:

Code:
	UIBarButtonItem *addButton = [[UIBarButtonItem alloc] initWithBarButtonSystemItem:UIBarButtonSystemItemAdd target:self action:@selector(addSimpleTest)];
	self.navigationItem.rightBarButtonItem = addButton;
	[addButton release];

I then hit ⌘N, chose ‘UIViewController subclass’ as the type of file and enabled “With XIB for user interface”. I named it ‘SimpleTest.m’ and enabled “Also create SimpleTest.h”. Then I went back to ‘RootViewController.h’ and added the following method declaration:

Code:
- (void)addSimpleTest;

In the corresponding implementation file, I wrote the following code for that method:

Code:
- (void)addSimpleTest
{
	SimpleTest *simpleTest = [[SimpleTest alloc] initWithNibName:@"SimpleTest.xib" bundle:nil];
	[self presentModalViewController:simpleTest animated:YES];
	[simpleTest release];	
}

And that’s it. That’s all I’ve done. It ought to work, right? When I run the program and tap on the ‘Add’ button, it crashes and throws the following exception:

Code:
2010-06-13 10:51:50.617 Testing[24725:207] *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL
2010-06-13 10:51:50.621 Testing[24725:207] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: '(null)'

I’ve tried to use the debugger to figure out what is wrong and all I’ve managed to ascertain is that the crash happens when calling the ‘presentModalViewController:setAnimated:’ method and, for the life of me, I just cannot figure out what is wrong.

I’m using Xcode version 3.2.3 (pre-release) 64-bit. The Xcode IDE version is 1680.0. The iPhone Simulator is at version 4.0 (204) and I’m running Mac OS X version 10.6.3.

If anyone could lend me a helping hand here, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.