£100 G3 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dagless, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My old college is rumoured to be selling off their old iMacs for £100 a piece, maybe less. That a good price? I remember using them years ago but they were pretty bad. i blame OS9.
    Can i run OSX on a G3 iMac? well... Tiger? Just i'd love my Powerbook and a nostalgic machine working side by side. especially when the iMac has a dandy 768mb RAM, apparently.

should i buy? or haggle a cheaper price? or what? :)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What specs are they. There's a wide variety, something like 233-600MHz.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can certainly run OS X perfectly on an iMac, especially given the RAM they've supposedly got in them – but I'd find out what the processor speed and hard disk size is before deciding if £100 is a fair price.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

that was another question i forgot to ask. do the colours matter? I mean on eBay im seeing a "snowy" iMac at 600mhz? I know we have some snowy iMacs.

there are all the colours of the rainbow for sale. slot loading, tray loading, blues greens oranges and white.

I had no idea that with an adapter you can get Airport on them! that makes it a much better deal. sure i can just share the internet via ethernet but you gotta love wireless :)

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If memory serves (it seems such a long time ago ;)) the snowy iMacs were one of the last revisions before they went to the G4 'lamp' iMacs. As a general rule of thumb, if it's got a slot loading optical drive it's one of the later models. My old indigo G3 iMac from the same revision as the snowy and had no problems handling Panther – I never tried Tiger on it so I can't vouch for it personally. Just make sure you get a full list of the specs so you know exactly what you're buying.

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

You're right that the snowy model were part of the last revisions. I believe they came in at 500 Mhz but I could be wrong. I have a graphite G3 500 Mhz iMac that is currently running 10.4.2 with only 256 MB of RAM and it's not terrible. I can imagine if I upgraded the RAM to 768 it would be much better.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've had a look at LowEndMac and apparently the snowy weighed in with 500, 600 and 700MHz models. All in all, there were a lot of models in a lot of colours, so just make sure you know exactly which iMac you're spending your hard-earned coin on, raggedjimmi – and I'd steer clear of the Flower Power special edition, too. ;)

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

iMac G3

Im running tiger on iMac 400mhz G3 Dv with 384Mbs of ram and 30Gb HD..
    If you wanna do simple stuff: E.g. textedit,web surfing, some tunes and some dashboard games .. It run but not like G5 or G4 .. 100 euro price sounds fair or haggle little bit down.. i paid 67 euros for my G3 iMac .. and its my first Mac.

iphil

Edit: the Machine i bought had 128Mbs of ram,but i added 256 stick of ram and tiger .. because had No OS on it ...