«Official» Dvorak is poop thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by crassusad44, Oct 29, 2002.

1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Many of us know and hate John C. Dvorak, the supposed computer columnist. After reading a lot of his crap lately, I decided to start this thread, so that everyone can say their opinion about Dvorak and his kind.

Oh, and to prove he is a complete iditot, I have written down what mr. Dvorak wrote in February 1984 about the Mac 128k.

Source: Apple Confidential

----------------------------------------
    «...but here are some good reasons that the computer may not become the raving success hoped for by Apple:
    1. The trend toward color
    2. The trend toward two disk drives
    3. The trend toward IBM PC compatibility
    4. The machine's memory is limited to 128,000 characters
    5. The Macintosh has no slots for expansion and is therefore restricted in versatility
    6. There is no bundled software except for a word processor and a program that allows the user to «paint»
    7. The machine uses an experimental pointing device called a «mouse»
    8. The smallish keyboard has no cursor arrows and no numeric keypad
    9. Who out there in the general markedplace even knows what a «font» is?
    10. What businessman knows about point size or typefaces or the value of variable point size?
    11. The computer only drives a dot-matrix printer
    12. The hing-speed serial port is too slow for a hard disk
    13. Apple's inhability to sell anything but the Apple II
    14. It's too expensive for a single board computer with one disk drive and a mouse.
    15. The Macintosh uses icons to represent functions as though there was some intuitive knowledge on the part of the user as to what these icons mean.

(...)»

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: «Official» Dvorak is poop thread

Truly a visionary, eh? Damn funny too! I don't think I've ever read anything of his till this - you have any recent examples of his work?

D

3. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems like Dvorak's genius for talking about the Mac is as accurate today as it has been historically.

Let him whine, complain, and moan about the price and new/current features of the Mac - while he praises Wintels newest feature, which happens to be something he said won't work on a Mac months/years ago.

5. vniow macrumors G4

Guys, he's not ALL bad.....

True, so true......

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

A word on m$ innovation...

I think this guy smokes crack... If you go here you will see this on the side:

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

So he complains about macs and windows.

All it proves is that he's bitchy.

8. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He is generally more negative towards the Mac, like in this recent quote...

9. job macrumors 68040

job

10. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

"Apple has nothing it could possibly replace it with. There is no new idea out there short of a talking computer. And the technology for the talking computer is decades away."

I'm guessing he never used SimpleText. :D

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That is about as far from the truth as one can get. Lol.

12. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Dvorak

I always though mouths with no brains like Dvorak were best summed up by Apple in its "1984" commercial directly

Text of "1984"
    Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology. Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!

Just do a Google search for 1984 Commercial Apple to see find an example of it.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Dvorak

In other words. WE ARE BORG! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!

14. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: «Official» Dvorak is poop thread

I don't really like Dvorak either, and some of his premises are quite laughable here, but his overall point stands. The Mac didn't become a raving success. After it was introduced it floundered in the marketplace, never gaining more than around 15% market share, when it was such a great machine that it could have completely dominated the PC industry if Apple had just done a few things differently. Going back and reading what he said now, Dvorak certainly does sound like an idiot today, but you have to keep in mind that the Mac and things like the GUI and the mouse were so new and hyped in 1984 that nobody knew whether or not they would catch on.

15. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

Dvorak is an @ss I have never seen anyone so ignorant and claim to be a "expert" in the industry. If this is representive of a expert, I am scared. next thing you know we are going be all using windows, and everything else will be banned. I am thinking he is on the MSFT Payroll.

in the year 2010 a Windows Only World a conversation between my wife and I

"Honey why arent you using windows?"
    "Because I never have, so why start now?"
    "Because Gates Passed a law saying it was the only thing that could be installed, so here is a CD for your mac and your other machines"
    "but honey I dont want to use Windows, if I wanted to use windows, I would have used it forever"
    "honey I will call the software investigation agency and have them come talk to you"

I hate windows, I only use it for a few programs i need, and i use it at work, because they think if i use anything I will "Hack" into the NetWare based network (as if I wanted anything to do with NetWare) But they have accused me twice today because the systems crashed twice and it was my fault because I wear 2600 Magazine and Read Books about Network Security, and know more than the "Adminstrators" about their own network....

anyways those are my rants on Dvorak and other issues :-D

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You have a rather frightening outlook of the future. Oh, and by the way, if the wife you are referring to in this short look into the future is the one you have now. Get rid of her by any means necessary.;)

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, after reading a few of his articles, I've come to realize that he really doesn't have much good to say about anything. He might mention a word or two about something he likes but immediately follow it up with several paragraphs bashing something else.

I won't read anymore of his stuff (and I just read my first article yesterday, ha), its a waste of time , too much nastiness and negativety. If he was posting stuff like that on MR, he'd be labled a troll and banned......:D

D

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There is really no need to label him a Troll. Just look at the guy he IS a Troll!!

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was just trying to keep the attacks as impersonal as possible. ;)

I'm just amazed after reading some of the forums about the individuals who usually post 'I totally agree with everything you're saying....'

Ugh! I've wasted enough time on this already, get me out of here.....

20. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You wear 2600 Magazine? How does that work exactly?

21. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

I have some 2600 Magzine Shirts....

Anyways the following is a Actual Conversation between myself and John Dvorak (And thank you to the person who started this thread, because i used your post about why the Macintosh would fail
    I realise I might have been trolling, but it was fun and let me release some of my anger

---------------------------------------
    «...but here are some good reasons that the computer may not become the raving success hoped for by Apple:
    1. The trend toward color
    2. The trend toward two disk drives
    3. The trend toward IBM PC compatibility
    4. The machine's memory is limited to 128,000 characters
    5. The Macintosh has no slots for expansion and is therefore restricted in versatility
    6. There is no bundled software except for a word processor and a program that allows the user to «paint»
    7. The machine uses an experimental pointing device called a «mouse»
    8. The smallish keyboard has no cursor arrows and no numeric keypad
    9. Who out there in the general markedplace even knows what a «font» is?
    10. What businessman knows about point size or typefaces or the value of variable point size?
    11. The computer only drives a dot-matrix printer
    12. The hing-speed serial port is too slow for a hard disk
    13. Apple's inhability to sell anything but the Apple II
    14. It's too expensive for a single board computer with one disk drive and a mouse.
    15. The Macintosh uses icons to represent functions as though there was some intuitive knowledge on the part of the user as to what these icons mean.

Yes a Mouse, so this man talks up windows like it is the greatest invention man has ever known, well SUPRISE before windows was born there was the Mac OS, His Articles in PC Mag are poop, I just thought i would let some of you know before you took anything he said seriously.

Viva La Macintosh!

Options Reply Rate

To: sickboy_osx (275 of 277)
    12835.275 in reply to 12835.274
    Dear idiot...I would challenge you to sell the machine that was described in that list. All those problems that I cited were corrected. I was leery about the mouse and wrong...but that's it. The rest of the list (the need for color, the need for more than 128K, the need for a better I/o, etc.) were all fixed. I've been avoiding writing abuot the Mac anyway. Who cares? They're doing fine without my criticism.

www.dvorak.org

Options Reply Rate

To: johncdvorak unread (276 of 277)
    12835.276 in reply to 12835.275
    Mr. Dvorak,

Dear Idiot? Is that how you start all your replies to people who disagree with you? Man thats gotta win you some points in the professionalisim arena.

Why am I an idiot, because i pointed out somthing that you wrote that you were proven wrong on?

You make a habit of bashing on things that arent windows.

You remind me of the skit on SNL where Mike Meyers would say "Welcome to all things Scottish, where if it aint scottish, ITS CRAP"

only in your world it is
    "Welcome to all things Microsoft, where if it aint microsoft it's crap"

Why do you think the products from redmond are so great? Whats wrong with Apple's "Switch" campaign? I mean if apple does it first, other companies take the idea and use it for their own (Colored Computer Cases, lest i remind you that eMachines and Gateway both tried to make iMac clones, and got their asses handed to them on a platter, Laptops in general, and if it werent for Jobs and Woz, we would have the computers we are using today.

No less than 3 other companies have come out with iPod clones, and Gateway coppied apple with their All in One LCD computer. and then made it look like the gateways were better (After botching the tests by using equipment that was double what the iMac had.)

Alot of the innovations in the computer industry in the last 20 years have come from Cupertino, Ca.

You take cheap shots at companies who make better products than Microsoft. (Mac and Linux) and tell people whats wrong with them, why dont you write a positive article sometime about what macs can do.

Mac Os X has been called the best operating system in the last few years. Microsoft got wind of this, and stole it once again (this is evident in the GUI for Windows .Net server)

Microsoft fails to innovate, but they continue to steal ideas. I wouldnt doubt for a minute if in 5 years windows is gone and people (including you are macintosh or linux or unix users)

You should mature a little bit. You think your an "expert" in the computer industry, but if you are an example of a Windows XP expert I am scared, as I know people with more knowledge about Windows, and Operating System design than you would ever hope to. Please dont bash the Mac, it is becoming more popular as people are seeing Microsoft's products becoming "Spyware" Radioing Back to Microsoft for information, and on top of that, giving Microsoft the Permission to enter my computer to "Repair" my system HELL NO not in this life time

| Shon Harris |
    |sickboy at inconnu dot isu dot edu |
    |"There are 10 types of people in the|
    |world, those who understand binary |
    |code, and those who dont" |

22. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

Actually she uses linux, she just likes windows for different things (office) but I am teaching her how to use Star Office and Open Office, and some other cool things, now she checks her Campus email on the shell.

23. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My hero! :) :) :) :D