¿Qué opinas de las drogas?

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Muffin Man, Aug 8, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

He formado una opinión fuertísima de las drogas. Las opongo porque han arruinado las vidas de muchas personas, unas a que yo les conozco. No son saludables para nada y roban la gente de dinero y buen salud. Sin embargo, creo que usarlas no debe ser ilegal. Mantenerlo ilegal sólo mantiene más crimen violento. La elección de fumar cigarrillos no es inteligente, pero es legal. Todas éstas son selecciones personales (aunque fumar sí afecta al mundo entero), así que se debe poder elegir de hacerlas, ¿sí? ¿Qué opinas tú?

2. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's with the spanish (??) threads recently. This isn't a spanish site.

I think we should do what we used to do in another board I used to visit: Delete non-english threads. Nobody liked the spanish/french, and even chinese posts showing up, so we just made a ban on non-english posts entirely. I could make threads in chinese or french, but I don't. Its not discriminatory, but MacRumors IS an english website, if you haven't noticed. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

porqué es usted que se adelanta a un Web site de la computadora y que habla las drogas de la manera gobiernan el mundo... muy extraño

why come on here and talk about drugs.... very strange...

is what i said btw

4. macrumors 6502a

Annoying...

5. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

The size difference here makes me laugh. :D

P-Worm

6. macrumors 6502

it could have been like this:

porqué hablas de drogas aqui?

i dont know why you choose to bring up the topic of drugs in this particular forum, a site specific to computers....very strange

;-)

7. thread starter macrumors regular

This is the community forum. That means we can post whatever we want. I'm not posting controversial topics in the software forum, so I don't see what's wrong. And we already went over the Spanish in two other threads. You don't need to participate in threads in other languages. Go ahead and start a thread in Chinese. I really wouldn't care. You wouldn't see me posting in it because I don't speak Chinese, but I wouldn't feel threatened by it (although now I have a slight feeling that it would be a "bash the Muffin Man in Chinese" thread, but that's ok). You can write what you want. One awesome thing I like about my country is the freedom of speech, even if some politicians are trying to take that away, too. Oh, and also the mods and admins. I suppose since they run the site they have a right to take off anything they want. Though I don't think that's right unless the material is highly offensive or is criminal.

8. macrumors member

macrumors.com is not a democracy. its a multiperson benevolent dictatorship :)

9. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

¡Míreme! ¡Soy bilingüe!!!1!11

...so not necessary. This is not a multi-lingual site. It's great that you can speak Spanish, but it's not needed here.

10. macrumors 601

Don't panic

I think english should be the official language of the site, to allow all the members to benefit from a thread/post and for monitoring purposes. In this view threads and even single posts in other languages would be out of place

however, a "non-english" section with languages sub-sections could be very cool (although I wouldn't visit much, if at all)

Still, one wouldn't want to be a free-for-all-land, but there would be the need of keeping tags on it. Before becoming available, each language sub-section could be "introduced" by a moderator fluent enough in the language to be able to work as such. Alternatively, some native language non-moderators could be promoted to the role if they "qualify" (no clue how that works) and if they were willing to do it.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, to yahooz: You are correct in saying that this is not a democracy. However, you didn't really prove a point. No moderators have shut down the Spanish threads. You just said something that everyone knew without any reason to saying it...

12. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hey, wanna see something irrelevent and without a point?

This is irrelevent, more so than yahooz post. ;)

Well since it's an english website, wouldn't it just be appropriate to post in English only? This is the community section. Notice how the community isn't generally spanish speaking. Notice how the spanish threads may not even be properly moderated. Same with a thread posted in chinese. I was just making a point. I wouldn't post in chinese because I have sense.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

You are right, this is a community forum. Some of the members of the community speak Spanish. We would like to keep the language alive. Because it is a minority, we wish for it to be a VISIBLE minority.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

In case it was never made clear, the point of having Spanish threads is to bring together Spanish speakers as a community, not to exclude non-Spanish speakers. It's the same as "post here if you like hip hop" or "post here if you have a Ford". In the end, all I want is community. We may all have Macs in common, but in between us in smaller groups, we have other things in common.

15. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think it probably belongs in the political forum, and in the language used by the site's moderators.

16. macrumors 68030

superbovine

First, why post on a macrumors forum about the opinions of the mac community about drugs.

Second, it is to Macrumors advantage to handle all types of languages. They could actually sell ads space to ads geared towards a particular languages. They aren't asking you to learn whatever language. What they want is the opinions of other people that speak their language. I don't see why people are so offend by people not speaking English, especially if they are not asking people speak their language. If you don't like it don't read it.

17. thread starter macrumors regular

Superbovine, thanks for your defense, but I wanted to explain why I asked about drug views. This section of the forum is the community forum. There are polls about cars, threads about TV shows, and comments about pets. This is the RANDOM forum.

18. macrumors 68030

superbovine

well i was just wonder why the question was possed to the Mac Community rather than in another place, and weather the answer were different if possed in a different forum.

19. macrumors 604

iJon

well i can i honestly don't care. it sucks just because its one less thread i can participate in, but it isn't the end of the world. i think we should just let it be for the people who want to participate and leave it a that.

iJon

20. thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, iJon. That's what I'm trying to say. We all have our own thing.

21. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was under the impression that the language was doing ok by itself, last I heard a whole country spoke it, nativly! :eek:

22. thread starter macrumors regular

edesign, when I said keeping it alive, I meant at MacRumors. Please stop pretending you don't know what I'm talking about.

23. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"Stop pretending", I haven't even started yet! It was only 1 post :rolleyes:

Spanish was never "alive" here to need to be saved.

I don't really care, I'm jusy sayin'...

24. macrumors 65816

Multilingual forums?

English is not my first language, so I perfectly understand that non-native English speakers might want to communicate in a different language. Also, as person who likes speaking foreign languages, I understand people who want to practise their skills in different languages.

Although my English is not too bad, sometimes it would be easier for me to post in my native German. The reason why I do post at Macrumors is because there are people from many different countries who come to the forums. This makes the discussions more interesting, IMHO. Since there are forums in other languages, I don't think we should start sub-forums in Spanish, German, French or any other language for that matter, if you want to post in another language, do so in those forums.

25. macrumors regular

? ? Shocked by the prejudice here ! !

Whether or not something is posted in the community forum, I'm appalled that there are so many folks who believe that posts should be English only.

English only?!

This is a public forum. English speakers may be in the visible majority, but this network we are using is GLOBAL. Believe it or not, you're going to find native speakers from many different countries on the internet. It's a unique opportunity that we have, and it may not stay this way for all too long. (Yeah, that's right, the Internet as a huge, open network may not survive for very long, especially when it makes it difficult for particular people in power to maintain that power.)

What's the trouble if you cannot read a particular post? Do you ask non-English speakers that you pass on the street to stop talking so loudly because you don't understand them??

It's called prejudice. Learn to let it go. Celebrate the fact that other cultures still exist all around you and disregard the posts you cannot read, just as you would disregard conversations in a foreign language that you cannot speak.

peace,
    Logicat