Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
(A separate topic for this, as there's already a little confusion in the topic where the problem arose.)

Here, now, drafting a new topic: @arn. The required person is highlighted (screenshot below) so realising that what's highlighted is correct I proceed to type. I suspect that this post, this paragraph, will reference the wrong person …

screenshot 2015-06-29 at 18.58.16.png

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I should probably describe three aspects to this bug:

1. the person highlighted by the system differs from the person ultimately referenced;

2. a full stop (period) . after the name of the person;

3. critically, the menu of names omits arn.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is it simply because a '.' is added and is considered to be part of the username in that case?

Seems like using @arn as an example seems to work for me as far as I can tell. I guess if a period or some punctuation is added at the end and it treats it as part of that username that might be the error potentially. It happens sometimes with URLs like that as well (although not so much since the forum redesign).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes, punctuation being included in the username, such as @arn. The member I just tagged is not @arn .

I doubt this problem is avoidable, unless punctuation characters are disallowed from usernames. The workaround is to end the tag with whitespace as I did, and remove it in an edit after posting if you'd like.

That being said, It's not very common to get two usernames that are identical but for a comma or period at the end. @arn. is the only example I know of, and it's a dead account with only one post.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
… I doubt this problem is avoidable, unless punctuation characters are disallowed from usernames. …

The menu of matching names should have shown arn. beneath arn

The system should not highlight (select) something then use something other than what was selected.

…It's not very common to get two usernames that are identical but for a comma or period at the end. @arn. is the only example I know of, and it's a dead account with only one post.

I see that it has been renamed from arn. to 632176

I guess that routines for new members should disallow any name that ends with something other than an alphanumeric character …

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I see that it has been renamed from arn. to 632176
A good idea to avoid the incorrect tagging of @arn. in the future, since it is a dead account with only one post anyway.
I guess that routines for new members should disallow any name that ends with something other than an alphanumeric character …
Not all usage of "." at the end of usernames is bad, a good example is @MonkeySee.... A clever and unique username.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
@redheeler @monkeysee testing ... it's bad.

Or at least, it's another example of the system highlighting the user then not addressing the user.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Just a side note. I believe that notification alerts are NOT sent on @ tags if they are added or modified during an EDIT of an EXISTING post.

I saw this noted at the Xenforo forums about a year ago.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Just a side note. I believe that notification alerts are NOT sent on @ tags if they are added or modified during an EDIT of an EXISTING post.

I saw this noted at the Xenforo forums about a year ago.
That is correct. I'd call it a minor issue.

The same is true of quotes added in an edit, as far as I know.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
That is correct. I'd call it a minor issue.
Actually, the devs said it was a decision made to avoid clogging people's alerts to the same post on every edit.

But, I guess it could be coded to recognize when a new @ tag is added, and only alert when it is specifically modified.

To me it's a non-issue, but handy to know - especially if people add an @ tag later and wonder why the user wasn't notified.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Please, let's keep this on-topic; attention to the subject line.

@dejo @MonkeySee nope. I simply pause for a moment then as soon as the addressee is highlighted, I continue with a space.

dejo, please, what's your browser, version and platform?

Here: Firefox 38.0.6 on PC-BSD 10, and I expect to find the problem reproducible with Safari 9.x on OS X 10.9.5.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I've always clicked on the name I want in the pop-up list. Perhaps an extra step if you're typing, but that has always worked for me in other Xenforo forums.

If you do it that way and then add your punctuation without white space does that work?

<tries at time of writing post>

Actually, doing it that way automatically adds a white space after the username. So it would seem that punctuation immediately after the @ username tag is NOT allowed (unless it is part of the username).

Reactions: dejo

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
… it would seem that punctuation immediately after the @ username tag is NOT allowed (unless it is part of the username).

We have the previously given workaround. To allow for a variety of factors, an extended routine for a user of the rich text editor (WYSIWYG) might be something like this:
  1. type all or part of the required name
  2. from the menu, select the required name; or simply observe and agree with the primary selection that was made by the system
  3. don't rush to trust that selection
  4. Space bar
  5. More Options…
  6. Preview…
  7. point at the previewed link to the person
  8. wait
  9. observe the number of the member but not the name of the person in, for example, the status bar of the browser
  10. get the contextual menu for that link, e.g. Control-Click
  11. open the link in a new tab
  12. click the new tab
  13. check that the profile is a match for the person who you intend to address
  14. close the tab
  15. move left one character, e.g. Left arrow key
  16. . (full stop, period) or other punctuation …
… and so on, and if the profile page at step thirteen is not a match, then close the tab and find a way to make the correction.

The simplest approach to correction may be a click on the spanner to reveal the markup; to not trust that WYSIWYG.

So for example I can place a comma here @\-V-/, after the name of member 694420.

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
We have the previously given workaround. To allow for a variety of factors, an extended routine for a user of the rich text editor (WYSIWYG) might be something like this:
  1. type all or part of the required name
  2. from the menu, select the required name; or simply observe and agree with the primary selection that was made by the system
  3. don't rush to trust that selection
  4. Space bar
  5. More Options…
  6. Preview…
  7. point at the previewed link to the person
  8. wait
  9. observe the number of the member but not the name of the person in, for example, the status bar of the browser
  10. get the contextual menu for that link, e.g. Control-Click
  11. open the link in a new tab
  12. click the new tab
  13. check that the profile is a match for the person who you intend to address
  14. close the tab
  15. move left one character, e.g. Left arrow key
  16. . (full stop, period) or other punctuation …
… and so on, and if the profile page at step thirteen is not a match, then close the tab and find a way to make the correction.

The simplest approach to correction may be a click on the spanner to reveal the markup; to not trust that WYSIWYG.

So for example I can place a comma here @\-V-/, after the name of member 694420.
Well, for my money, correctly placed punctuation can take a miss, rather than 16 steps. But yes, the WYSIWYG doesn't appear to handle the placement of the TAG. Once the TAG is formed, it seems you CAN add punctuation.

I'm still going to click on the name in the pop-up list after typing the first few characters - though I can still see where some very similar names might get confused if one fails to recognize duplicate/similar usernames.

Ah well, as usual, nothing's perfect. :oops:

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Please, let's keep this on-topic; attention to the subject line.

ADMIN NOTE: Just to clarify, the organic discussion prior to this comment is indeed on-topic. :)

I've always clicked on the name I want in the pop-up list. Perhaps an extra step if you're typing, but that has always worked for me in other Xenforo forums.

Admin hat off, regular member hat on :p: This is how I do it as well, and it works consistently. If I want to add punctuation after the fact, I simply back up one space to add it.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
@Ulenspiegel the problem link involved user name AFEPPL with the @ prefix and : punctuation.

It's already known that linking can be wrong with some approaches to punctuation, but (at a glance) in this case the resulting link was particularly unusual.

----

@annk please, attention to my first words in the opening post.

I could have been more specific about existing discussions of notifications elsewhere; about existing discussion of various other asides elsewhere; I could have explained why – from perspectives of bugs reporting/tracking and so on – I wanted some strict focus; I could have squeezed (within the constraints of the subject line) a note about what this is not; and so on. But I didn't. I could have added links to some of the things that I didn't want discussed in this topic, but I didn't – because I know that some readers at all levels react badly to links. And so on.

I see the smiley face, and I don't doubt your good intentions, but the timing is unfortunate. I'd like to explain further but this is not the place; and in the place where discussion is more appropriate, I (personally) can not give a full explanation without breaking confidences; and partial explanations may be disallowed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.