Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@C

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2015
I only know him from movies, so I will watch They Live (1988) in his memory.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I actually had to re-read this twice when it started to come out on FB and twitter. It literally took my breath away. I absolutely loved this guy, both his wrestling and acting career. They Live to this day is still one of my favorite movies!

RIP Mr. Hotrod......

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I actually had to re-read this twice when it started to come out on FB and twitter. It literally took my breath away. I absolutely loved this guy, both his wrestling and acting career. They Live to this day is still one of my favorite movies!

RIP Mr. Hotrod......

I felt the same way, I was like "Nonono... this has to be a hoax".

Oh well, if there's an afterlife, there's one hell of a show going on right now.

Reactions: rhett7660

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'll say he was one of the most entertaining of his era with his smack talk and the infamous coconut stunt. I admit I was surprised to hear he passed away and hope someone here knows what was the cause of his passing. Between his stunts in the ring, smack talk and surprisingly decent acting on the screen, what can be said but RIP Mr. Rowdy Roddy Piper, we thank you for putting smiles on our faces.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'll say he was one of the most entertaining of his era with his smack talk and the infamous coconut stunt. I admit I was surprised to hear he passed away and hope someone here knows what was the cause of his passing. Between his stunts in the ring, smack talk and surprisingly decent acting on the screen, what can be said but RIP Mr. Rowdy Roddy Piper, we thank you for putting smiles on our faces.

His cause of death was listed as cardiac arrest, which is technically how everyone dies.

Sadly, his heart was probably weakened due to drug and steroid use in his heyday.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
His cause of death was listed as cardiac arrest, which is technically how everyone dies.

Sadly, his heart was probably weakened due to drug and steroid use in his heyday.

I can understand drugs but I didn't catch anything about him that would suggest steroids. In fact, part of his image was that he was not one of those over built wrestlers.

Reactions: satcomer

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I can understand drugs but I didn't catch anything about him that would suggest steroids. In fact, part of his image was that he was not one of those over built wrestlers.
Steroids don't always equal big muscle. A lot of times they're used to hasten injury recovery, and to extend the "operational health" of athletes. It's why steroids are a big problem in baseball.

Reactions: phrehdd

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Steroids don't always equal big muscle. A lot of times they're used to hasten injury recovery, and to extend the "operational health" of athletes. It's why steroids are a big problem in baseball.

Sorry to post here late but had come across this sad site recently. http://deadwrestlers.net/2010s.html

True, because steroids decrease recovery time, both from major injuries and workouts. That allows users to lift more often (and not as the misconception goes, higher weight).

People were surprised a few years ago that Tiger Woods returned from a major injury so quickly. They also noticed he had lats and delts like a linebacker. As with Lance Armstrong his reputation shielded him. He still makes the PGA, broadcasters, and advertisers too much money.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Honest Question:
What do people who appear to be obsessed with death and constantly report on deaths of seemingly famous people, hope to gain? Are they looking to have a massive turnout at their own funerals? They want to gain fame at the end of life by their names being mentioned in the most amount of obituary columns? Or?

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Honest Question:
What do people who appear to be obsessed with death and constantly report on deaths of seemingly famous people, hope to gain? Are they looking to have a massive turnout at their own funerals? They want to gain fame at the end of life by their names being mentioned in the most amount of obituary columns? Or?

Honest question: Why do you haunt the threads which discuss the death of someone the OP of that thread may well have admired, or respected, and post comments that seek to make a mockery of them, or the deceased? If you don't care for them, please feel free to ignore them.

Now, to your question. Strange to say, but these threads are not an obsession with death. Rather, they are mostly made as a respectful salute to someone who has passed whose passing the OP feels obliged to mark.

My sense is that people post about those whom they feel have made a difference in some way or another, to their own lives, or, to entertainment, or art, or statecraft, or to the world. Sometimes, you salute the passing of someone who made a difference to you when you were a kid. And sometimes, you salute someone who was a giant in their field of endeavour at one time, but whom many of those who are youngsters today may never ever have heard of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Possumgal

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Honest question: Why do you haunt the threads which discuss the death of someone the OP of that thread may well have admired, or respected, and post comments that seek to make a mockery of them, or the deceased? If you don't care for them, plea feel free to ignore them.

Now, to your question. Strange to say, but these threads are not an obsession with death. Rather, they are mostly made as a respectful salute to someone who has passed whose passing the OP feels obliged to mark.

My sense is that people post about those whom they feel have made a difference in some way or another, to their own lives, or, to entertainment, or art, or statecraft, or to the world Sometimes, you salute the passing of someone who made a difference to you when you were a kid. And someones, you salute someone who was a giant, but whom many of those who are youngsters today may never ever have heard of.

Thank you for your kind enlightenment.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you for your kind enlightenment.

The other thing is that one may also learn something new about other cultures, and what is important to other people.

Quite a number of those whose names feature on such threads are new to me, as I am not from the US and so much of the finer points of the culture are alien to me. Moreover, I have little interest in and less knowledge of the US entertainment industry or of US sporting matters. So, when someone writes about not just the death of an individual, but why that individual was important, - and important to them - I will read it with interest.

My interests tend to lie in history, politics, literature, and sometimes, science, and therefore, most - though by no means all - (I greatly admired Leonard Nimoy both as an actor and as a human being and not least as a role model for intellectuals, so I posted in the thread that was started to mark his passing earlier this year) of what I post would be in threads dedicated to those whom I felt had contributed something commendable and worth marking, or saluting, in those fields.

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Honest Question:

This is why:

Reactions: vkd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.