Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I know the title sounds silly, but if this was 'Vintage/Obsolete Macs' instead of 'PowerPC Macs' it would make more sense. More than half the time, when I post in the appropriate computer's forum, I get responses like 'buy a new one' or 'too old to be worth anything', and frankly, it makes me furious. If that is such an obvious solution, don't ya think I would've done it already? I CANNOT afford a MacPro 3,1 or 4,1 at this time, nor can I afford a new SSD for my laptop. I have what I have, so I'd like to make it work like its supposed to. Sorry for the long rant, just really tired of bad responses.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know the title sounds silly, but if this was 'Vintage/Obsolete Macs' instead of 'PowerPC Macs' it would make more sense. More than half the time, when I post in the appropriate computer's forum, I get responses like 'buy a new one' or 'too old to be worth anything', and frankly, it makes me furious. If that is such an obvious solution, don't ya think I would've done it already? I CANNOT afford a MacPro 3,1 or 4,1 at this time, nor can I afford a new SSD for my laptop. I have what I have, so I'd like to make it work like its supposed to. Sorry for the long rant, just really tired of bad responses.
Maybe you can bug the mods to make a subforum off the Intel Mac forum?

I know maflynn pays attention to our threads here so you may get some traction by contacting him.

Reactions: jbarley and tevion5

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Maybe you can bug the mods to make a subforum off the Intel Mac forum?

I know maflynn pays attention to our threads here so you may get some traction by contacting him.

That would be a good idea. I just feel like I'm in the same boat as you guys, getting the most out of your machines. I too cannot enjoy the power of SATA III and I know the pain of getting non-propietary graphics cards to work.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

The way I see it is "PowerPC Macs" is an architecture forum and not an age related forum.
If you cannot locate a forum that suits your needs then maybe consider starting one.
"Over the Hill Intels" sounds like it should work.

Reactions: tevion5

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
The way I see it is "PowerPC Macs" is an architecture forum and not an age related forum.
If you cannot locate a forum that suits your needs then maybe consider starting one.

Sounds good, I just hope people post/answer stuff.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
2006-2007 Intel Macs

Sounds like a decent name, as I agree Keaton. If I dare say a word about my perfectly usable 1.86GHz Core Duo iMac in the iMac forum, you'll indeed get responses like "too old, upgrade." Screw them, I bought this thing for $30 :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If there is enough interest/poking of sharp sticks, the mods will respond.

Contact them and show your voice. At the very least they will listen.

Reactions: grahamperrin

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
totally agree here! I have my Macbook 3,1 running Snow leopard and whenever i post ANY issues about it it takes some time to get people to help as i get people telling me to move on. Sorry! This was and is my first laptop ever and my first mac ever! i cant afford a new one and this ones my favorite. so dont tell me to move on when im asking for a little help.

I say we call it vintage Intel Macs.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You'd still get the rude people in there though. It's like the iPod Touch forum. People don't respect that some people would rather not pay money to stream content they've owned for a decade or more, nor do they want their pictures and apps competing with their music library for space.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
A forum for unsupported Intel Macs. It could work, although I'm sure it will be dominated by threads asking how to install Yosemite on them, if it's time to get a new one, etc.

I am getting tired of people asking questions about their white plastic iMacs in the same forum where I look for new retina iMac backlight bleed threads. In that sense a separate forum is a good idea.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I like the OP's idea, a subforum in the Intel Mac section for obsolete/older Intel Macs makes sense because people rarely respond on any thread about 2006/07/etc. Macs. Most of the time it's just insults like the OP said.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've found the Macbook subforum to be relatively free of this type stuff, since Apple hasn't made a Macbook in 2 years or so now, and most of the ones in circulation are much older than that.

I'd agree, though, that a dedicated subforum for older(say pre-2008, or unsupported) Intel Macs would be a great thing. I'm sure it would get the occasional troll-as we get on here-but thing there would be enough traffic that we could mostly avoid that.

Reactions: grahamperrin

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
If there is enough interest/poking of sharp sticks, the mods will respond.

Contact them and show your voice. At the very least they will listen.

I've found the Macbook subforum to be relatively free of this type stuff, since Apple hasn't made a Macbook in 2 years or so now, and most of the ones in circulation are much older than that.

I'd agree, though, that a dedicated subforum for older(say pre-2008, or unsupported) Intel Macs would be a great thing. I'm sure it would get the occasional troll-as we get on here-but thing there would be enough traffic that we could mostly avoid that.
Much like this joker:
PLWRKrm.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I find the gutting of an Intel Mac to turn it into a Hackintosh an odd thing. Why would you gut something only to replace it with the same parts?

OK sure, a Hackintosh starts out as a 'PC' but to me it's just the same thing.

That kind of admonishment shows the maturity level you guys are dealing with.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Moved the thread to the Site and Forum Feedback for discussion.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I'd be interested in an aged Intel forum.

Ripe Apples?

I'll PM maflynn later as I should be doing work :p.

totally agree here! I have my Macbook 3,1 running Snow leopard and whenever i post ANY issues about it it takes some time to get people to help as i get people telling me to move on. Sorry! This was and is my first laptop ever and my first mac ever! i cant afford a new one and this ones my favorite. so dont tell me to move on when im asking for a little help.

I say we call it vintage Intel Macs.

Some lovely ideas for names for a sub-forum.

The idea itself is excellent - not everyone has the latest, newest and technologically most proficient - and for those who have the older, more vintage models, a forum, or sub-forum where they can discuss their aged Apples, raise issues and ask question without experiencing condescension or derision, strikes me as an excellent idea.

You'd still get the rude people in there though. It's like the iPod Touch forum. People don't respect that some people would rather not pay money to stream content they've owned for a decade or more, nor do they want their pictures and apps competing with their music library for space.

Very nicely phrased. (And I agree with you).

I like the OP's idea, a subforum in the Intel Mac section for obsolete/older Intel Macs makes sense because people rarely respond on any thread about 2006/07/etc. Macs. Most of the time it's just insults like the OP said.

Yes, I think it an excellent idea, too.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Some lovely ideas for names for a sub-forum.

The idea itself is excellent - not everyone has the latest, newest and technologically most proficient - and for those who have the older, more vintage models, a forum, or sub-forum where they can discuss their aged Apples, raise issues and ask question without experiencing condescension or derision, strikes me as an excellent idea.

Very nicely phrased. (And I agree with you).

Yes, I think it an excellent idea, too.

Awesome! I'm glad this is happening so fast! Great work guys (and gals)!

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I have a G5 and a 2007 iMac that I find to be both very useful. I have also held back some questions/discussions because some peeps on here can't handle their age. I would welcome a sub forum :cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What about it Mike?

Can they have their own Intel subforum?

Its not up to me, the admins have say on the structure of the site :)

As I think about it though, it does seem like mixing apples and oranges. The PPC forum has certain needs and helps people, where as intel Macs, even discontinued ones have different.

Then it comes down to confusion, someone posts in the iMac forum asking for help, yet they should have posted in the older intel Mac forum under the PPC forum. People come here for help, we don't want to make that more confusing.

Do we annually transition certain macs to the older mac forum?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Its not up to me, the admins have say on the structure of the site :)

As I think about it though, it does seem like mixing apples and oranges. The PPC forum has certain needs and helps people, where as intel Macs, even discontinued ones have different.

Then it comes down to confusion, someone posts in the iMac forum asking for help, yet they should have posted in the older intel Mac forum under the PPC forum. People come here for help, we don't want to make that more confusing.

Do we annually transition certain macs to the older mac forum?

Can you pass this on to the admins with your thoughts on the matter then? A positive word from a mod might help their cause.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Can you pass this on to the admins with your thoughts on the matter then? A positive word from a mod might help their cause.

You could help your cause by providing a list of existing threads you think would be suitable for inclusion in an Old Intel Mac forum. This would help the admins decide if there is enough traffic to justify creating the new forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.