#00 Phillips Screwdriver isn't removing screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3pointers, Sep 10, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

In an attempt to upgrade my ram on my MBP, I bought a #00 Phillips screwdriver from Sears. It doesn't seem like the right size because I don't feel like it's fitting far enough down into screws to turn them.

Home Depot didn't have any screwdrivers small enough.

Any recommendations on where to find the correct #00 screwdriver? I've read where some people use the flat head from an eyeglass repair kit, and that does work on one screw, but doesn't budge the other two.

It sucks having new ram and not being able to open up the computer.

2. macrumors demi-god

On the MBPs I've worked on, you have to press down fairly hard with a #00 while turning them slowly.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, found a $2.00 set of micro screwdrivers at the drug store, and between the #000 and #00 screwdrivers, I finally managed to get them out. One of them now has a larger hole, but it just wouldn't budge. Too bad they don't include a little screwdriver with their computers.

4. macrumors 68040

squeeks

you dont want a #00 you need a #0

5. macrumors 68040

Neil321

er no you don't not according to all the guides i've ever read including ifixit's plus i've done it a few times

6. macrumors 68000

e12a

er no, i have the official service manual. #0 (magnetized) is needed for memory. #0 in general is usually what they use if its a Phillips

7. macrumors 68000

cal6n

Hmmm...

The one that I've been using since the dawn of the Aluminium era is stamped "00". The "0" is definitely too large. They're from a set of CK watchmaker's screwdrivers.

8. macrumors Core

alphaod

I have 2 screwdrivers that I use and it opens up pretty much all electronics (except the 3-star). I magnetized all the tips myself.

9. macrumors 68000

e12a

a work we've got a set of Wiha #0x150 (yea, they're long). to magnetize we just drag it along a nice magnet we've got stuck on a wall.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, maybe your service manual says #0, but the little book that came with my MBP, in the chapter on upgrading ram, says #00.

Maybe they've changed the screws on the more recent books.

11. macrumors 65816

I don't know which size I ended up using (the set of small screwdrivers had 12 different sizes of flat and phillips head screwdrivers), but I can say be sure to use a decent screwdriver.

I dismantled my ex-Macbook Pro (sold it) to get access to the hard disk and ruined 2 very cheap screwdrivers in the process.

12. macrumors 68040

Neil321

Well i suggest you get in touch with the people who make the guides,but hey maybe they don't know any different

Picture 4.png

click for larger

13. macrumors 68000

e12a

hm that is peculiar. I've used the #0 we have at work with no problems on dozens of macbook(Pros). whatever works i guess.

i took a MBP apart fine with a #0 today to check for water damage..which the customer caused.

there is a discrepancy between the user's manual and the official service manual. for what, who knows.

14. macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I love Wiha tools. Extremely good quality. Boy, they're expensive but they're like the Snap-on of electronics tools.....

15. macrumors member

gerbil

I couldn't unscrew some MBP screws with a Phillips #0 so I went to a computer shop, Googled and found this thread. There is indeed a Phillips #00 which worked with the tough screws on my MBP. Cost me $3 versus a trip to the Apple service centre to get my hard drive swapped.

16. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

The ten screws holding the back cover on a MBP are #00 Phillips. The iFixit and OWC install guides and my personal experience confirm this.

17. macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

yup #00, use wiha as well, magnetized. Some philips sets I've read the head jsut doesn't go in deep enough, that's all. Get a good set and you'll be solid.

18. macrumors 6502

I did a LOT of checking before I opened up the back of my 2010 MBP 13". I had read reports saying #0, #00, and #000 Phillips. I did not want to order three screwdrivers, nor did I want to buy one and have it be the wrong one.

I even considered that maybe they were JIS headed screws.

In the end, after researching, I felt pretty confident that they were #00 Phillips, so I ordered a #00 Wiha ESD Phillips screwdriver (not that expensive to my mind, btw, around 5 or 6 bucks, including shipping) and it worked perfectly with an excellent fit.

The screws do take firm pressure to get started when you are removing them, or at least mine did. There was a blue, Loctite-like substance on each one. I had to overcome that friction to get them started loosening. The Wihas (and others) are made so that you can press down while turning (the end of the handle has a disc that moves independently of the shaft, so you can press 'n' turn simultaneously).

Miss Terri

19. macrumors 6502

Sure they do. The even have a black capped one with Torx.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have a full mechanics set of tools and and an entire technicians set of tools from my last job and that Husky screw driver is my favorite of all of my tools. Although my kids lost the cap (as the barrel is where the tips store) and most of the tips, so I may have to buy another one. I still have the most important tip though, the torx t6 as that is the one I use the most.

21. macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The Home Depot I went to had a set that came with the phillips and torx needed to open the computer and remove the hard drive and ram. If you can't find anything locally you can always look online.

22. macrumors 6502

Personally I find a #000 screwdriver works really well.

23. macrumors 6502

Apparently Phillips #00 screwdrivers come in different sizes. Here's a photo I took of a couple screwdrivers, both of which say they are #00. The one on top came from an iPhone repair kit. The one on the bottom I bought from Sears.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I just checked again and I also have a Phillips #0000 screwdriver from Sears that seems to be the same size as the #00 screwdriver from the iPhone repair kit. :confused: