$1,000 says the Galaxy S™ 4G is faster than your iPhone®.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iOS v Android, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors member

Apr 26, 2011
    T-Mobile is challenging Seattle area iPhone users to a unique challenge. Friday, April 29 – Sunday, May 1, 2011, bring your iPhone into one of our 10 participating stores to take part in a speed challenge. If your iPhone can beat the Galaxy S 4G in two out of three speed tests (download speed), we’ll give you 1,000 bucks.

T-Mobile has been making significant investments in our network, which is why we are confident our smartphone can beat the iconic iPhone, which runs on Verizon’s and AT&T’s 3G networks. This speed challenge will give Seattle area iPhone users the chance to see for themselves why we are so excited about T-Mobile’s 4G network and why now is a great time to be a T-Mobile customer.

Keep an eye on the T-Mobile blog this weekend for live updates, video and photos from the Seattle speed challenge.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2008
  3. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  4. macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2011
    Sounds pretty desperate. Raw download speed is not a good representation of the overall quality o your network or of the value of a phone. You are hereby BANISHED troll!
  5. macrumors demi-god

Jun 9, 2007
    Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Oh man, easy pickings.

Turn off your cell radio, leave on WiFi, and carry a Verizon 4G MiFi hotspot in your pocket.

For extra points, jailbreak and stick a fake 3G emblem on the status bar.

6. Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
    4G network matched up against a 3G network ... I wonder which will be speedier??

Seriously. It's not about the speed. Get over it.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 26, 2011
    Nah i think its just the iPhone they did would not challenge the HTC Thunderbolt they would go bankrupt.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2009
    Someone needs to do this, and tape it.
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 26, 2011
    The Speed Challenge Requirements
    1. Speed challenge offered 4/29/2011 through 5/1/2011; subject to change. First come, first served. Participating locations only.
    2. Limit one speed challenge per person.
    3. Participants must be 18 years of age or older and a legal resident of the 50 U.S. states or D.C.; iPhone models used on the AT&T or Verizon Wireless network (and not over Wi-Fi) only.
    4. Participants must agree to complete a T-Mobile survey / information form.
    5. Participants must download a free speed test Application specified by T-Mobile; standard data charges apply.
    6. Speed challenge consists of three tests of the Galaxy S 4G versus the iPhone based solely on download speeds as measured by the Application; participants will be eligible to receive $1,000 if their iPhones are faster in two out of the three tests.
    7. Successful participants must provide contact information; affidavit of eligibility and a liability release may be required.
    8. $1,000 provided in form of check; allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. All applicable taxes are the sole responsibility of the recipient. If check is returned as non-deliverable or participant is not eligible, $1,000 will be forfeited and T-Mobile will have no further obligation.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Jan 15, 2011
    Mobile, AL
  11. macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2009
    ATT owns T-Mobile. lol

Oh, and 1000$ says my bugatti veryron is faster than your toyota camry
  12. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    What happens in many places that Tmobile doesn't have 4G available?
    It could be an easy $1000 but I doubt they will go for it.
  13. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 26, 2011
    They planed this out its only for Seattle and certain stores.
  14. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Oh that makes sense.
    They'd be losing money if they didn't.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2008
    Athens, GA
    So basically this is a 4G vs. 3G speed test that has nothing to do with the actual performance of the phone.

Lame challenge is lame.
  16. antman2295, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2010
    and how is this fair? 3g vs 4g... Anyone with a 4g t-mobile phone, needs to download the biggest files they can all at the same time, and make their network fail... hehe, everyone would make some money ;) or you could enable the tethering on the galaxy 4g, and just leech off of its 4g and get the same speeds ;)
  17. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2008
    What's the use of speed if you can't do shiat with your phone.
  18. macrumors 68040

Jul 28, 2007
    I would like to challenge Tmobile USA with this

$100,000 (yes $100k and i do have that in my trading account) bet that iPhone 4 will get iOS 5.0 upgrade before Samsung Galaxy S 4G gets Android 2.4 ice cream upgrade.

Oh wait, they shipped the Galaxy 4G S with just 2.2 (when gingerbread had already been out almost 3 months). (which is really just the original Samsung Galaxy S (European) model with the front facing camera they remiced from the original Vibrant Plus added HSPA+ chip.

So tmobile/Samsung . Seriously why do u take 6 months to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 with the original Vibrant?

Why do you ship the galaxy s 4G with the older 2.2 software when 2.3 had already been released months ago. And now it's like almost 5.5 months since gingerbread has been out and there's no sign of 2.3 upgrade.

So let's make a real bet tmobile. $100k bet that iPhone 4 gets iOS 5 upgrade before ice cream 2.4 is ever made available to the galaxy s 4G (hint it will most likely NEVER make it to the galaxy 4G) since the new Galaxy 2 flagship phone is coming with 2.3 and they would never cannibalize sales ofthr new duo core galaxy 2 by even updating to 2.3 on the galaxy s 4G.
  19. macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2010
    I would so do that if I lived in Seattle.
  20. macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003

lol. No they don't.
  21. macrumors 65816

Apr 8, 2011
    Western Hemisphere
    Smartphone speed is highly overrated.

My iPhone 4 is plenty fast, as is my Galaxy S.

Why compare?
  22. macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2007
    Excellent! Gave me quite a laugh! Well done.

23. macrumors 65816

Jun 21, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca
    Too bad Verizon's 4G network went down, who knows when it'll be back up.
  24. macrumors 68020

Jun 12, 2008
    they are just showing us what is going on in the world, not trolling. this is just like something that could be on macrumors front page

also...of course TMo is gonna win in a controlled area where they probably get 5 bars of good quality 4G speed...
  25. macrumors 68020

Jun 12, 2008
    their speedtest software that theyre gonna use probably will identify the connection, so they'd know it wasnt ATT 3G (or Verizon 3G)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.