1,000th Post -- An Important (Potentially Life-Changing) Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Oct 10, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Here's my deal.

I'm in college, just started about 3 weeks ago. I worked for a month at walmart. While I did make some good money (at least for me. I went from making 5.15 to 8.15), I didin't enjoy my time there. So I quit and got an on campus job.

Here's my financial situation. I have about 900 dollars right now. I will (at end of month) be getting a check for at least 300, probably 350. That would put be into the 1200 range.

I am responsbie for paying the internet/directv/phone bill. It's about 150. My average check at my on campus job after this month should be about 270. That leaves me with 120. Other money? I have about 2000 in savings.

Here's my dilemma. For about the past 6 weeks or so I've been trying to convince myself to not get a Wii. I keep trying to tell myself that getting a Wii and Twilight Princess is not a good financial decision for a college studnet like myself.

But. I. want. to. so. bad!

I've never had the financial means on getting the newest console ever in my life.

So.. what do you guys think? Am I thinking it too much? Any level heads on MR?

(BTW my parents haven't been asked yet....)

Oh, and yes. This is my 1,000 post.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mate, it's your money, who cares what the parentals think - you do what you want you're an adult now.

Can you foresee anything that's going to cost money coming up in the future? Maybe a trip with your Uni mates? That would be soo much better than a Wii.

Take a good stock of what you can see coming (Christmas is coming so you're going to be up for pressies) and then decide whether you want some gaming console.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

hire the console and the game for a couple of nights, clock it, then return it

then decide how bad you want a Wii

4. shecky Guest

shecky

i think if you plan on spending your freshmen year at college in your dorm room playing nintendo you are missing out on why you are at college.

plus sitting in your dorm room will make it really tough to hook up with all the suddenly liberated, not living under their parents roof, social animal go crazy and party to excess members of the opposite sex. (or the same sex, as your preference may be.)

save your money

5. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Best. Argument. Ever.

Don't spend your undergrad days playing a video game console. That's what grad school is for :). By then the opposite sex has had its share of liberation and wants to take yours away.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hahaha. Excellent!

You definitely need to get out as an undergrad especially if you live in the dorms. Perhaps when you get an apartment or house off campus with a group of friends then pick up a Wii and make it a social event (lots of people playing). But for now live up your freedom......it will not last forever :)

7. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

You lie. These people do not exist!

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Oh, they do exist. I just avoided them in college.

WTB Sexually Transmitted Diseases, PST

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Save your money.

A Wii is not worth blowing your savings.

If you can discipline yourself now, to resist the urge, it will pay great dividends later on.

10. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

man, you gotta realize your in college and your parents never even have to know. last year was my first year and believe me i had way worse financial woes (still do) but hell i still bought things i dont always need.

11. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

You guys up north must like, spike the water cooler with vodka or something then. :confused:

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh yes they bloody well do.

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

I prefer my chain of high distinctions in my year one :rolleyes:

Now... if someone is godly enough to do well AND have heck of a lot of fun then seriously kudos to them!

14. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Ah, so that explains it. I've been getting Distinctions and Credits for the past year and a half. Hence not doing enough of either.

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

16. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Eh, getting great grades in college is overrated unless you're in some precision field, like... I dunno, engineering or the sciences (or if you want to go on to grad school, for some unimaginable reason). If you're in a media/communications field... Let's just say I farked around a lot and came out with a less than 3.0 GPA and STILL got hired within a month of seriously looking by a post production facility on the other side of the country. It's about what work you did, not your GPA. And I wouldn't trade a single second spent having fun with the best group of friends I ever had for a higher GPA.

EDIT: Which reminds me, I need to update my "Location" here on MR.

17. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm on a Ba Design course (3rd and final year now) and most of my projects have been video game based. I remember back in college running through monotonous projects only to go absolutely wild on my FMP and make an actual game. Hallelujah! Research was playing retro games! Oh it was good.
    I never really went to parties of junk at college or uni. just stuck my head down and really pushed myself. Free time was spent with Caroline :) , but then again I'm a little different to most folk, don't drink for one!

Everyone has their own way of doing things. If you feel you want a games console, get it, if you want a car, buy one. Just don't do what other people want you to do and have a jolly good life old chap!

19. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I don't really agree with this argument. You're not taking into account the possibility that although he may get the Wii, the chances of him locking himself in his dorm room and doing nothing but playing video games is very unlikely, if he's a mature person. It's more than possible that he could buy the console, and still explore the opposite, or same, sex.

I say, get the console! But budget carefully, and make sure you have enough money for thost "just in case" things that come up in life. I call it an emergency fund; I have enough money for the Wii and accessories, but I still have my emergency fund.

20. shecky Guest

shecky

no, i am taking into account that any minute of your time at college spent playing a video game is a minute of time that should be spent elsewhere.

21. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Eh, there's nothing wrong with it if it's one of those days where you wouldn't want to spend a minute elsewhere anyhow.

I know some days that I just don't wanna do anything or talk to anyone, so leaning back on the couch and saving the world or summat is always good fun.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Excellent advice. Though I advise spending the money on a love swing and lots of lube, which could be purchased from iGary.

23. John Inman macrumors newbie

As a grandfather of 5, I say go for it. It may help you to be more disciplined in your studies.

24. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Thanks for all the comments. I think it may be better than getting WoW. ;)

Thought I'm not gay, I do appreciate seeing all the "opposite or same" sex comments.

It's nice to talk with open minded people for once! :D

25. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Well, of course. ;).

If we weren't open minded we wouldn't have tried macs in the first place, aye?