Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have just started the fun task of Folding.. I recently discovered that Macrumors member Mixedsig and myself are neck and neck for daily averages, and near the same in points..

I never thought computer racing would be so much fun. I thought at first Mgoodman would be good competition, but that folding farm is blowing my team away!

Anyway we all need to step it up. we are forecasted to be passed by an other team in the next few weeks!!

What's with all of the dead folding members out there!

:eek:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
840quadra said:
I have just started the fun task of Folding.. I recently discovered that Macrumors member Mixedsig and myself are neck and neck for daily averages, and near the same in points..

I never thought computer racing would be so much fun. I thought at first Mgoodman would be good competition, but that folding farm is blowing my team away!

Anyway we all need to step it up. we are forecasted to be passed by an other team in the next few weeks!!

What's with all of the dead folding members out there!

:eek:
I may join the MR Folding team one of these days.

Currently I am doing the SETI thing.

Just passed 10K WUs.

I plan on sticking with SETI 1 until it terminates. Then will look at Folding.

P.S. Love your screen name. One of my favorite Macs until mine died a long and painful death about a year ago. Sad day... The MB parts slowly started dying. Then the HD went. When the PS went, I punted and scrapped it. Saved the MB for display purposes. I tell ya, Macs are so crappy! Heck, mine only lasted 10 plus years. What a ripoff! ;)

Sushi

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
sushi said:
I may join the MR Folding team one of these days.

Currently I am doing the SETI thing.

Just passed 10K WUs.

I plan on sticking with SETI 1 until it terminates. Then will look at Folding.

P.S. Love your screen name. One of my favorite Macs until mine died a long and painful death about a year ago. Sad day... The MB parts slowly started dying. Then the HD went. When the PS went, I punted and scrapped it. Saved the MB for display purposes. I tell ya, Macs are so crappy! Heck, mine only lasted 10 plus years. What a ripoff! ;)

Sushi

I understand on seti. I have only completed 4 WU's on that site and I gave up on that in 99 when my computer died.

Thanks for the compliment, I really like the Quadra, I bought it in 99, and wanted one since I was in video editing in High school back in 93 and 94 when they were new. Mine has treated me well, and I still use it for small personal video projects.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
840quadra said:
I understand on seti. I have only completed 4 WU's on that site and I gave up on that in 99 when my computer died.

Thanks for the compliment, I really like the Quadra, I bought it in 99, and wanted one since I was in video editing in High school back in 93 and 94 when they were new. Mine has treated me well, and I still use it for small personal video projects.

I think I'll get back in the 'fold'... I've been a bit lazy lately...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
840quadra said:
I still use it for small personal video projects.
There was a nuBus card that made the 840av sing when video editing. If memory serves, it occupied two slots but only plugged into one. It was expensive when they came out. Somewhere around 7 grand.

Might be able to find a well used one for a few bucks.

If I can think of the name of the card I will post it.

Sushi

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
840quadra said:
Understand.

As for me, I am pretty stoked right now since I just passed 10,000 WUs.

Never thought that I would see the day. It was fun rolling over last Thursday. :D

I do about 50-70 SETI WUs (old not Bionic) per day. Not sure how much that would be in Folding terms. Maybe we will see in a couple of months...

Sushi

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
sushi said:
Understand.

As for me, I am pretty stoked right now since I just passed 10,000 WUs.

Never thought that I would see the day. It was fun rolling over last Thursday. :D

I do about 50-70 SETI WUs (old not Bionic) per day. Not sure how much that would be in Folding terms. Maybe we will see in a couple of months...

Sushi

I don't know for sure, It has been years since I have completed a WU for them, and the Folding WU's depend on what type of protein you are working on. I think the newer Bionic would compare to a Tinker work unit in F@H, but someone else will have to say for sure.

On the Quadra topic,

I actually like the current configuration.. The only part that is slow with it, is the point were it is doing the final render. During the Render portion, the DSP isn't used, and you are then running on the 68040 by itself, so you can really feel all of those 68k's churning away :)

It is real slow next to my G5, but I still love the Quad, strange really, when I am on my dell and waiting for it to boot I want to throw it across the room, but the Quad doesn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.