1.25 15" or 1.33 12" powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, May 5, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

From what I've seen I could get a used 1.25 15" for about $2000. For the same price I could get a new 1.33 12". I have an external monitor so the 12" isn't that big of an issue but is there anything I would get in one that I wouldn't in the other? From what I've read the specs are similar but I'm just not sure which one to go with. If I purchase a used 15" could I buy applecare for the computer even though I'm not original buyer or should I try to get seller to purchase apple care and reimburse them?

Thanks

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I'm a 12" PowerBook G4 Revision A owner, and I swear by my 12", but a used 15" I would take over a 1.33 Ghz 12" PB G4.

Try to get one (a 15") with the backlit keyboard, that I've heard is a real plus.

You can also get a better video card in the 15".

3. fussball macrumors regular

The two video cards (64mb ATi vs 64mb Nvidia) are actually quite similar, aren't they? Also, with the 12" you can get the faster HD now. I love my 12" hooked up to the external monitor. It is awesome

4. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you could get apple care on a used 15" provided it's still under warranty.

i'd personally buy the 12" if you have an external monitor.
    if it's a desktop replacement (and you have no monitor), go for the 15" for the extra space. otherwise the 12" and it's portability are a huge plus IMO, when connected to my 17" LCD I use the 12" as my "tool box" for all my palettes etc. and work on the project in the 17" alone. A huge plus for Director, Flash, etc.

i vote 12" unless you REQUIRE the extra space. i viewed them at the apple store over the weekend, and it's not as big of a difference as i thought. 12"!! :D